Clemson fires Bowden

np_husker

Clemson fired football coach Tommy Bowden on Monday, four days after the Tigers lost to Wake Forest and fell to 3-3, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.

Bowden informed his assistant coaches of his firing this morning. Assistant head coach/wide receivers coach Dabo Swinney has been named the team's interim coach for the final six regular season games and potential bowl game.

The Tigers were ranked No. 9 in The Associated Press preseason Top 25 poll and were favored to win their first ACC championship in Bowden's 10th season as coach. But Alabama blasted the Tigers 34-10 in the Aug. 30 opener in Atlanta's Georgia Dome, and Clemson then lost to Maryland 20-17 at home and again to Wake Forest 12-7 to drop their record to 1-2 in ACC play.

Bowden received a lucrative contract extension from Clemson after the 2007 season. He received the extension after considering a potential coaching position at Arkansas.

Bowden, the son of Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, has a 72-45 record and eight bowl appearances at Clemson.

Mark Schlabach covers college football for ESPN.com.

I can see the meeting now.

AD: Tommy, you know why you're here, we're going to let you go. Effective at the end of the season.

Bowden: How about I go ahead and quit, and you pay me the severance package anyway?

AD: Well, you do suck, and everyone wants you out, why not. Now if you'll excuse me I have a young man by the name of Lane that I need to speak with. I hear that if I fire him I don't have to pay him.