FCS (D1-AA), anyone?

My daughter is in the JMU marching band (they were in the Macy's parade on Thanksgiving!) so I've been to a few games and have been following the team. JMU just beat Villanova on a late 4th quarter drive to move into the semifinals next week vs. Montana, in Harrisonburg. I plan to go to that one.

Their QB, Rodney Landers, reminds me of Jamaal Lord or Scott Frost, a fast, powerful runner, plus he has a decent arm when the defense stacks up the line. I think he went over 1500/1500 today, in 13 games.

Appalachian State got beat by Richmond today, so they are out of the way. JMU already beat both this year. Northern Iowa plays New Hampshire tonight to fill the 4th spot.

Somehow the student-athletes will manage to take finals this week despite another game next weekend. As not only a football fan but also a parent with a kid impacted (the band continues to play at the games), I'm just fine with playoffs.

Plus, the championship will be played with teams playing each week, rather than playing a whole season and then giving teams 5 weeks off (it would be 7 if a Big 10 team was in it) before the final game. What other sport has such a gap before the championship game? There's a reason no other sport does it.