The Draft - Need or Best Talent

Should a team draft based on need, or on the best available talent?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Blackshirt made a comment in the "Chief's Draft Picks" thread that got me thinking on this - "Based on the free agent acquisitions -- Kendrell Bell, Sam Knight, Carlos Hall, Pat Surtain -- do they still go strictly D with their 1st rd pick no matter who is available, or do they take the best "talent" on the board?"

So, which is the best route - need or best talent? The purpose of the draft is, generally, to fill needs. But it seems to me that when teams do that, they often - maybe inevitably - "reach". Given free agency, shouldn't a team draft for the best talent available, and then work a trade?

But what about a team that feels that it's just a player or two away from the Super Bowl? Isn't that the time to draft for need?

So...which is best, and why?

You gotta go with the best available player. Some "need" picks in past drafts have been some of the worst picks ever. Good quality depth never hurts at a position and trades and free agents can always be picked up to fill in the holes that are needed. 2 years ago the Chiefs took Larry Johnson as a first rounder, I first thought that was a horrible pick because of the contract they gave Priest Holmes. When Priest went down last season, I realized why they did that. Wasn't necessarily a need, but probably the best player at that spot in the draft.