breaking News :Callahan is the man

Redout

Sounds like a good choice - he has the background and the skills. I hope Alverez was correct about his recruiting...I think that is the most important thing at the moment.

I do wonder what offensive scheme he will bring. I have trouble imagining Nebraska not relying on the option, and one thing I loved about the team since the early '60s was the precision of the option.

On the one hand, I would like to see him announce what he intends to run. It might help lure or assure recruits who want a particular style.

On the other hand, announcing early means he's wedded to a particular style, and not to finding something that fits the talent on hand.

Still, I'm excited. Here's hoping for the best!

What is worrisome about the West Coast offense is, as I see it, twofold. First, you have to "retool" the offensive line - convert it from a run-oriented group to a pass-blocking group. That's a tough transition, even assuming the members of the offensive line are the type of players that would excell in that type of blocking.

Second, the West Coast offense functions well when it has a quarterback who can read the defense quickly, and get the ball to the open man in short order. They don't have to be the strongest arm in the world, but they have to be quick decision-makers. It always seemed to me that the quarterbacks who excelled in that offense were "passing" quarterbacks from the time they started playing the position. Those that aren't seem to not have the feel for the passing game, passing lanes, and openings in the defense that is necessary to make it work. I may be wrong, but I don't see anyone on the roster that fits the bill.

I agree AR. this will require a HUGE overall and complete change from top to bottom of the program. not something you do in the off season. let alone a few yrs.

Im hoping BC was just "recruiting" when he said that. I dont think he's lying, but I really hope he means "west coast" in the sense of putting some new wrinkles into the scheme, but continuing to concentrate on smashmouth fball. think about how effective the option would be in this system. I know we wouldnt be near as good at it b/c of less repetition, but teams would be on their heels all day. Im sure he mainly means he plans to recruit QBs that can pass first and run first if he needs to. I see Joe Dailey as this type of guy.

Doesnt Green Bay run the WC offense? AG still seems to be the focus, so it cant be that bad.

Good point about Green Bay. The one exception is that they have Brent Farve - makes great decisions (most of the time) and has a wonderful arm. So while they are run oriented, Farve can take over with the passing game.

I hope you're right about the "recruiting speak". Maybe Bill is doing just that - not abandoning the run, but trying to construct a passing game to complement it.

I just hate to see the option abandoned - it is part of the tradition of the program.

Yes I would also hate to see a great tradition die. But I guess we have to be realistic, kids are attracted to a place where they can learn transferable skills. To the NFL that is. The option just doesnt work in the big leagues, so that deters skill players at QB WR and even RB b/c they dont want to seem like they are a product of the option, and they want to start their On The Job Training for the NFL!!

We dont have to completely ditch it, just like you guys said above "complement" it a bit with some other variations.

We'll be okay, Coach C seems to get the tradition of the Big Red, which I like!!

NU ERA

What is worrisome about the West Coast offense is, as I see it, twofold.  First, you have to "retool" the offensive line - convert it from a run-oriented group to a pass-blocking group.  That's a tough transition, even assuming the members of the offensive line are the type of players that would excell in that type of blocking.

I think Cotton realized this and has done some work in this avenue already. I don't

think pass blocking is something totally foriegn to the current players.

Second, the West Coast offense functions well when it has a quarterback who can read the defense quickly, and get the ball to the open man in short order.  They don't have to be the strongest arm in the world, but they have to be quick decision-makers.  It always seemed to me that the quarterbacks who excelled in that offense were "passing" quarterbacks from the time they started playing the position.  Those that aren't seem to not have the feel for the passing game, passing lanes, and openings in the defense that is necessary to make it work.  I may be wrong, but I don't see anyone on the roster that fits the bill.

If we had players "out of the box" that could run the WCO then we wouldn't need

coaches. Coaches take talent and mold it. I think Dailey could be just he man for

the job, with some coaching of course.

Thankfully this is all over. I'm so tired of listening to everyone say how stupid our AD is and how much they want Solich back. Callahan is big time, and NU did bag the white elephant by bringing him in. Hopefully the guy is as good of a recruiter as everyone says he is. The best thing we can do in Husker Nation is get behind this guy and support him and hopefully in a few years we'll be playing on January 4th once again! GO BIG RED!!!!!

Isn't Dailey supposed to be a passer who can run well too, more then a runner who may be able to pass if needed? If so then I think with coaching he could be the best of both worlds for us, although the didn't get as much playtime this year as they were hoping for.

Reciver wise I was impressed by Fluellen and Pilkington they both seem to have capable hands and I think if they get thrown at more they will get comfortable catching and only get better. Herian also seems to be a good TE to throw at. When you throw so few times a game the drops stick out though, but they seemed to catch the ball (when Lord got it close to em) most of the time.

I think we have the parts to make a WCO work if the players are able to get comfortable with it by next year, maybe not the best WCO lineup but I think its quite workable, but then again I am an optomist when it comes to NU.

I just hope they stick somewhat to the run first pass second mentality, nothing wrong with passing more but I don't want them to lose the smashmouth aspect either. So I hope BC is able to strike a good balance there.

Yes you are correct KC. Dailey does have the skillsets of a passer first, who can also run. and we do actually have some talented receivers. who looked good even with an average QB throwing to them. I also really like Fluellen, Pilk and Herian. and how about LeFlore? speedster.

the key is the balance you are right. we need to do what we do best - smashmouth. at least for the next 3-4 yrs. an evolution of sorts into the WCO. but at least the word is getting out that we are getting more wide open on offense. that is music to kids ears. recruits love to hear that. much offensive talent was deterred from NU over the yrs b/c we were too conservative. this should help our image if if nothing else for a while.