Ben Cotton charges dropped

From the OWH (Omaha.com):

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10593466

Published Monday March 23, 2009

Husker football: Charges against Ben Cotton are dismissed

BY JON NYATAWA

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - The Lancaster County Attorney's Office has dismissed the charges against Ben Cotton, a Nebraska tight end who was cited for his alleged involvement in a February dispute.

Cotton, the son of NU assistant coach Barney Cotton, was charged March 13 with minor consumption and disturbing the peace. But the case was dismissed by a county prosecutor last week.

On Feb. 28, UNL campus police cited Cotton for minor consumption, disturbing the peace and trespassing after responding to a quarrel inside Smith Hall.

Cotton, an Ames High School standout, was listed as the No. 2 prospect in the state of Iowa by rivals.com and scout.com, but he redshirted in his first season with the Huskers.

My guess is that he was offered diversion, which results in charges being dropped in consideration of successful completion of the diversion program. Of course, they also might have just dropped the charges unconditionally due lack of evidence.

Either way.......Ben, keep your nose clean, avoid the hoochie koochie joints, avoid fast women and otherwise do not act like a typical college kid.

From the OWH (Omaha.com):

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10593466

Published Monday March 23, 2009

Husker football: Charges against Ben Cotton are dismissed

BY JON NYATAWA

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - The Lancaster County Attorney's Office has dismissed the charges against Ben Cotton, a Nebraska tight end who was cited for his alleged involvement in a February dispute.

Cotton, the son of NU assistant coach Barney Cotton, was charged March 13 with minor consumption and disturbing the peace. But the case was dismissed by a county prosecutor last week.

On Feb. 28, UNL campus police cited Cotton for minor consumption, disturbing the peace and trespassing after responding to a quarrel inside Smith Hall.

Cotton, an Ames High School standout, was listed as the No. 2 prospect in the state of Iowa by rivals.com and scout.com, but he redshirted in his first season with the Huskers.

My guess is that he was offered diversion, which results in charges being dropped in consideration of successful completion of the diversion program. Of course, they also might have just dropped the charges unconditionally due lack of evidence.

Either way.......Ben, keep your nose clean, avoid the hoochie koochie joints, avoid fast women and otherwise do not act like a typical college kid.

LJS says he did diversion.

Good. I don't think that anything significant would have happened to him anyway

Not necessarily, they could have made an example out of him to some degree. Hopefully he will keep his nose clean now and there won't be any other problems.

He will have to on diversion. It is a year program that will require him to do community service, and attend substance abuse classes. If he gets in any trouble while on diversion, all the original charges will be reinstated.

Yes, I speak from experince about this program. of course my charges were much more serious

Not necessarily, they could have made an example out of him to some degree. Hopefully he will keep his nose clean now and there won't be any other problems.

He will have to on diversion. It is a year program that will require him to do community service, and attend substance abuse classes. If he gets in any trouble while on diversion, all the original charges will be reinstated.

Yes, I speak from experince about this program. of course my charges were much more serious

It doesn't take a year (from someone who went through it) <_< . But, while he's in it, he will have to keep straight.

It doesn't take a year (from someone who went through it) <_< . But, while he's in it, he will have to keep straight.

Never went thru diversion, but have investigated many who have. The length of the diversion program depends on the severity of the offense. So you are both right.

Never went thru diversion, but have investigated many who have. The length of the diversion program depends on the severity of the offense. So you are both right.

Mine was a straight MIP.

Well, IMHO, young people use the diversion to lessen the consequences, then as soon as they think nobody is looking - they are doing what ever they think they can get away with. I imagine he will keep his nose clean as long as the diversion is going on, but the real test will come after.

The ones that don't make it through diversion before getting back into trouble IMHO are people that have some serious issues, and have no self control.

These are the non-scientific observations of Dr. Trucker... ;)