Absolutely no pitching!

My expectation is that kids throw strikes is that to much to ask? I dont care if they are a Freshman or a Senior throqw a friken strike!

Remember these are kid's that dominated in High School.. Don't believe that? Go back and look at Yost or Kalkowski @ LSW and GI back in hs... they were dominant.. They could blow it by anyone.. They would get up 0-2 and be able to throw 4 BAD pitches and strike kids out because they'd chase one... Just the way it is... They are young and they will learn to throw strikes.. It all come with confidence. They will be fine but you have to give them time to grow and develop...

My expectation is that kids throw strikes is that to much to ask? I dont care if they are a Freshman or a Senior throqw a friken strike!

Remember these are kid's that dominated in High School.. Don't believe that? Go back and look at Yost or Kalkowski @ LSW and GI back in hs... they were dominant.. They could blow it by anyone.. They would get up 0-2 and be able to throw 4 BAD pitches and strike kids out because they'd chase one... Just the way it is... They are young and they will learn to throw strikes.. It all come with confidence. They will be fine but you have to give them time to grow and develop...

So lets suppose this team rolls over and plays dead, what then "young man of NE Baseball"? If I throw strikes at one level why not the next level. The distance is the same, the plate is the same, granted the strike zone may be a bit different depending on the ump, but come on. Watching these kids the other night against Creighton was like watching we trying to play darts. The harder I try the further I get from the target.

I am nominating Huskerswrkhovoc as the new pitching coach. He can take over for Newman!

So lets suppose this team rolls over and plays dead, what then "young man of NE Baseball"? If I throw strikes at one level why not the next level. The distance is the same, the plate is the same, granted the strike zone may be a bit different depending on the ump, but come on. Watching these kids the other night against Creighton was like watching we trying to play darts. The harder I try the further I get from the target.

I am nominating Huskerswrkhovoc as the new pitching coach. He can take over for Newman!

Have you realize that we've been up and counts and continued to walk batters? That's that. If you're going to use the Creighton game then there is no way to argue that.. But you can't take one sample.. That was the worst outing we've had all year.. You can't base everything solely off that... So since a HS rb or qb runs all over somebody how hard is it for them to do the same things? Oh, wait. Talent levels huh? Yea. The talent level of big 12 baseball is a ton different than Class A Nebraska baseball.. Just the way it is. They will adjust. Oh wait! Just now. Roualdes was just up 1-2 and hit the guy. But you're right that can't happen.. I understand people being frustrated that the team isn't playing well but calling for Anderson's head is just ridiculous and media people that are baseball people (ie Kendall Rogers, etc.) will tell you that. Do you even know what kind of class we have coming in? Or that have committed to NU?

• 2 weeks later...

So explain this to me we have developed no pitchers in the last 2 years and why is that? Eric Bird is horrible and I have not seen a pitcher tonight that should be on the mound!

So who is responcible?

We will not make the Big 12 Tournament!

2 problems

1. Dave Bingham is no longer the pitching coach

2. Anderson has done way to much recruiting of JUCO players and not enough developing of their own players. You need to develop your own talent rather then recruit someone elses players in order to have succesfull pitching. Pitching is the one area that you have to have your guys, doing your techniques. If you pull a player who has had 2 years at another school, they are not in your system and it is probably to late to develop them into what you want them to be. I am not bashing JUCO coaches but simply saying a difference in philosophy is the difference between competing in the Big XII and being okay in the Big XII.

2. Anderson has done way to much recruiting of JUCO players and not enough developing of their own players. You need to develop your own talent rather then recruit someone elses players in order to have succesfull pitching. Pitching is the one area that you have to have your guys, doing your techniques. If you pull a player who has had 2 years at another school, they are not in your system and it is probably to late to develop them into what you want them to be. I am not bashing JUCO coaches but simply saying a difference in philosophy is the difference between competing in the Big XII and being okay in the Big XII.

What? This makes no sense to me...

Go to this link and count how many pitchers listed there came from the JUCO ranks.

With all the freshmen and sophomores listed there... it seems he's doing exactly what you think he isn't doing...

What? This makes no sense to me...

Go to this link and count how many pitchers listed there came from the JUCO ranks.

With all the freshmen and sophomores listed there... it seems he's doing exactly what you think he isn't doing...

thanks drowning exactly what i was going to say.. Eric Anderson is our only JUCO pitcher.. Tezak, Farst, Bailey, and Bubak are all JUCOs... Farst was here last year though as a sophomore and Tezak's been here awhile... Cody Neer at catcher came to us from Florida, not a JUCO.. Those are position players who actually play a pretty big role in our success... I really have no idea where that comment was coming from. And yea, Bingham isn't our pitching coach and thank God. He wasn't good at it, plain and simple.

My comment comes from the past few years, with this year being an exception (and we are seeing the problems of not developing our own pitchers). There have been several JUCO players brought in to pitch. My reference is my brother who went to a camp and tried out for the team as a pitcher while Bingham was the pitching coach and was told quote "in the BIG XII we like to have hard throwing pitchers" which admittedly my brother is not, he is a control pitcher. The coach (an assistant who is not there anymore, not Bingham) then proceeded to say that we don't see that in Nebraska and they usually go the JUCO route to fill those needs. They explained that they like to have hard throwing pitchers and do not want to work to much with finesse pitchers and quote "if you can't throw 90-98 on every pitch and we dont want to see your offspead or breaing pitches." This comment astounds me as someone who has coached baseball for years, specifically with pitchers. I have worked with several players, my brother included, and have developed several breaking, and off speed pitchers that are very affective. I have personally always thought that you can have the greatest bullpen pitcher in the world but if they cant pitch to live batters then they have got nothing. You can't really evaluate someones whole abilitiy on a perspective that is so narrow. This all shows to be inability to evaluate talent. As a pitching coach I have seen some great young pitchers come through our system and get miss used (being stuck in the bull pen) and some that I thought weren't worth a lick get thrust into the starting role. I am not going to drop names because they are gone by now.

And before a bias is brought up we understood going in that he would be fighting an uphill battle not being a hard thrower (getting in the mid to upper 80s consistently) but we have worked up a very good set of complimentary pitches (a curve with late break, slider, 2 seam fastball with good break, and a slider). I am not looking at everything from a brother perspective but as a pitching coach who cannot believe that an entire pitch set wasn't evaluated.

That to me explains some of the issues in recruiting. They admittedly try to fill spots with JUCO players and do not try and develop young pitchers. They simply try and plug spots with players who are throwers, which explains a little of the control problems that we are having (BBs and HBPs) which seem to be somewhat high this year. Several things go into being able to pitch effectively and I believe that the staff now is not doing a very good job of evaluating and improving all those factors, which is why we are seeing so many problems with our staff.

The point about the recruiting may have finally changed for the future and I hope it does. But we are now seeing the problems of the past few years in just trying to fill spots. Plugging spots is never good for long term solutions.

My comment comes from the past few years, with this year being an exception (and we are seeing the problems of not developing our own pitchers). There have been several JUCO players brought in to pitch. My reference is my brother who went to a camp and tried out for the team as a pitcher while Bingham was the pitching coach and was told quote "in the BIG XII we like to have hard throwing pitchers" which admittedly my brother is not, he is a control pitcher. The coach (an assistant who is not there anymore, not Bingham) then proceeded to say that we don't see that in Nebraska and they usually go the JUCO route to fill those needs. They explained that they like to have hard throwing pitchers and do not want to work to much with finesse pitchers and quote "if you can't throw 90-98 on every pitch and we dont want to see your offspead or breaing pitches." This comment astounds me as someone who has coached baseball for years, specifically with pitchers. I have worked with several players, my brother included, and have developed several breaking, and off speed pitchers that are very affective. I have personally always thought that you can have the greatest bullpen pitcher in the world but if they cant pitch to live batters then they have got nothing. You can't really evaluate someones whole abilitiy on a perspective that is so narrow. This all shows to be inability to evaluate talent. As a pitching coach I have seen some great young pitchers come through our system and get miss used (being stuck in the bull pen) and some that I thought weren't worth a lick get thrust into the starting role. I am not going to drop names because they are gone by now.

And before a bias is brought up we understood going in that he would be fighting an uphill battle not being a hard thrower (getting in the mid to upper 80s consistently) but we have worked up a very good set of complimentary pitches (a curve with late break, slider, 2 seam fastball with good break, and a slider). I am not looking at everything from a brother perspective but as a pitching coach who cannot believe that an entire pitch set wasn't evaluated.

That to me explains some of the issues in recruiting. They admittedly try to fill spots with JUCO players and do not try and develop young pitchers. They simply try and plug spots with players who are throwers, which explains a little of the control problems that we are having (BBs and HBPs) which seem to be somewhat high this year. Several things go into being able to pitch effectively and I believe that the staff now is not doing a very good job of evaluating and improving all those factors, which is why we are seeing so many problems with our staff.

The point about the recruiting may have finally changed for the future and I hope it does. But we are now seeing the problems of the past few years in just trying to fill spots. Plugging spots is never good for long term solutions.

Um... Johnny Dorn? His downfall as a pro prospect is because he doesn't throw hard... So I don't completely buy the fact that we absolutely won't recruit guys that don't have high velocity... Now.. Out of the bullpen? I may see the point in that and honestly, may agree with it.. "Soft" throwers are traditionally starters and need to have the stuff to get through the lineup multiple times.. I have no idea who you're brother is or how good his stuff was.. But maybe they saw him as a guy that was more of a short innings guy in which they want to throw harder.. Kind of hard to argue that point.. I'm not going to say there is no way what you've said is true because i believe there is truth to it.. But it isn't 100% true.. It's not that we don't give soft throwing guys a chance.. And trust me.. I understand what you mean and completely agree with being able to be effective because I never threw hard at all.. But I was accurate with both a 2 seam and 4 seam fastball, circle change, and a really good 12-6 curve... But i was effective at the high school level while i played... So don't get me wrong I agree with you're assessment there 100% of the way.. Just basically saying maybe they saw him as that short relief guy that they want to be harder throwing.

I still don't buy the "too many JUCO pitchers" thing...

I counted:

2008 - 3 out of 17 pitchers

2007 - 2 out of 19 (I'll count Drew Bowman even though he came from ASU, and I had to add Weber, because on the roster he was listed as INF, so I could be a real dick and just put 0)

2006 - 2 out of 20 (I'll also count Chamberlain who came from UNK)

2005 - 2 out of 18 (Chamberlain)

2004 - 1 out of 15

2003 - 4 out of 19 (Anderson's first year as head coach)

I still don't buy the "too many JUCO pitchers" thing...

I counted:

2008 - 3 out of 17 pitchers

2007 - 2 out of 19 (I'll count Drew Bowman even though he came from ASU, and I had to add Weber, because on the roster he was listed as INF, so I could be a real dick and just put 0)

2006 - 2 out of 20 (I'll also count Chamberlain who came from UNK)

2005 - 2 out of 18 (Chamberlain)

2004 - 1 out of 15

2003 - 4 out of 19 (Anderson's first year as head coach)

It is how much time the JUCO's are getting. While I was in college it seemed that these were some of the main guys that they were pitching in games, which comes back to the development.

And I will be honest with you, I thought I remembered a few more signings then that. If my math is wrong then I apologize and admit I am wrong, and refer back to the development of pitchers as my main argument and im stickin to it :)

If this team under achieves? I knew we were rebuilding to some degree in the pitching but com'on this is rediculas. We have a pitching coach sitting in the dug out just shaking his head and Anderson staring straight ahead.

This weekend we have TX and they way they are playing now they will lose all 3 games and I am not sure they can win another series on our schedule. Right now it is bleak and my guess would be our last game will be May 17th against Baylor.

Something has to change and I know most of you believe Anderson is god but I have yet to see anything from the guy!

The best coach in NE wears a Creighton Jersey!

I really have to refrain from what i've been wanting to say because i'll get in trouble.. i can't attack a poster, even though you really, really, really deserve it from what you've posted about Anderson lately.....

You have yet to see anything good? My bad... 2005? 2007? 2008? God forbid a coach has a bad year because he has an extremely young team!! 2006 was a good team that ran into a Great pitcher from a 4 seed in Manhattan and then played terrible against a decent San Francisco club the next day... i'll give you that year. 2007 went down to Tempe and beat a very solid UC Riverside club with their backs against the wall....

Let's look at our pitching staff...

Kalkowski - True frosh

Yost - RS Frosh

Nesseth - Soph

Kerkoff - True frosh

Massey - True frosh

Rose - Soph

Hauptmann - Soph

Mariot - Soph

Ludemann - True Frosh

Broekemeier - Soph

Rauldes - Jr

Anderson - Jr

Bird - Sr

we have THREE total pitchers that are upperclassmen... Bird is just bad.. always has been... he's not a big 12 quality pitcher... Eric Anderson and Jordan Rauldes... oh wait, Anderson has been hurt all year! That brings us to two. Two upper classmen.. - I'm not counting Bailey or Hanson because neither of them are pitchers 1st.... What would we expect out of a defense on the football team that has 2 players that are upperclassmen.. Not 2 returning starters.. two upperclassmen. Period. Maybe you should actually take a look at everything as opposed to being a sorry fair weather fan and jumping all over someone who isn't solely responsible for something.

Pitcher of the Year in 2006 in Minnesota, Threw 89 as a 10th grader. Not used as a catcher or anything because Anderson would be completely blasted if he actually played Jed Hanson. He plays him for 3 games and goes 4 for 9 with 3 homeruns and doesn't see the field again, anyone wonder why?

If this team under achieves? I knew we were rebuilding to some degree in the pitching but com'on this is rediculas. We have a pitching coach sitting in the dug out just shaking his head and Anderson staring straight ahead.

This weekend we have TX and they way they are playing now they will lose all 3 games and I am not sure they can win another series on our schedule. Right now it is bleak and my guess would be our last game will be May 17th against Baylor.

Something has to change and I know most of you believe Anderson is god but I have yet to see anything from the guy!

The best coach in NE wears a Creighton Jersey!

I really have to refrain from what i've been wanting to say because i'll get in trouble.. i can't attack a poster, even though you really, really, really deserve it from what you've posted about Anderson lately.....

You have yet to see anything good? My bad... 2005? 2007? 2008? God forbid a coach has a bad year because he has an extremely young team!! 2006 was a good team that ran into a Great pitcher from a 4 seed in Manhattan and then played terrible against a decent San Francisco club the next day... i'll give you that year. 2007 went down to Tempe and beat a very solid UC Riverside club with their backs against the wall....

Let's look at our pitching staff...

Kalkowski - True frosh

Yost - RS Frosh

Nesseth - Soph

Kerkoff - True frosh

Massey - True frosh

Rose - Soph

Hauptmann - Soph

Mariot - Soph

Ludemann - True Frosh

Broekemeier - Soph

Rauldes - Jr

Anderson - Jr

Bird - Sr

we have THREE total pitchers that are upperclassmen... Bird is just bad.. always has been... he's not a big 12 quality pitcher... Eric Anderson and Jordan Rauldes... oh wait, Anderson has been hurt all year! That brings us to two. Two upper classmen.. - I'm not counting Bailey or Hanson because neither of them are pitchers 1st.... What would we expect out of a defense on the football team that has 2 players that are upperclassmen.. Not 2 returning starters.. two upperclassmen. Period. Maybe you should actually take a look at everything as opposed to being a sorry fair weather fan and jumping all over someone who isn't solely responsible for something.

Pitcher of the Year in 2006 in Minnesota, Threw 89 as a 10th grader. Not used as a catcher or anything because Anderson would be completely blasted if he actually played Jed Hanson. He plays him for 3 games and goes 4 for 9 with 3 homeruns and doesn't see the field again, anyone wonder why?

Because defensively he wasn't as good as either Burleson or Neer.. He saw time because Neer was gone with family problems. Hanson isn't even close to being as good behind the plate.. Hanson has 2 errors in 5 games played... compare that to Burleson's 2 in 26 games played and Neer's 1 in 28 games played... Sure you can put Hanson at DH but why? There are too many other bats that should be in the lineup.

But let me guess.. It's all a conspiracy isnt it?