Ohio Christian school tells student to skip prom

updated...he did get suspended:

http://www.fox8.com/news/morningshow/wjw-p...0,6229729.story

FINDLAY, Ohio - The stepfather of an Ohio teenager tells Fox 8 News that his stepson received a certified letter in the mail informing him that he had been suspended for the remainder of the school year because he attended a public-school prom with his girlfriend.

Officials at Heritage Christian School in Findlay had warned 17-year-old Tyler Frost that he would be suspended and prohibited from attending graduation if he went to the Saturday dance. The fundamentalist Baptist school in northwest Ohio forbids dancing, rock music and hand-holding.

Frost says he went to the dance because he wanted to experience prom and didn't think it was wrong.

School officials say he could complete his final exams separately to receive a diploma.

Frost's stepfather says the rules shouldn't apply outside of school and he may take legal action if Frost is suspended.

The school, which opened as normal on Monday, posted a letter to parents on the Heritage Christian School Web site.

from the school website:

http://www.heritagefindlay.org/

As you probably already know, Heritage has received a lot of local and regional attention today. If you don’t know what I am talking about, you can read the article in today’s courier (www.thecourier.com Read “Don’t go to the prom…”). My guess is that many of you were bombarded at work with questions and statements. In fact, I have had e-mails this morning telling me that great opportunities to give the gospel have taken place. I believe I ought to address the situation.

First, the article in the Courier is fairly accurate. What the article leaves out are the principles behind the rules. In the Old Testament, Joseph was in a place of temptation and he fled. Unlike this situation, he didn’t put himself in that place. Proverbs 4:23 says, “Keep your heart with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life.” II Timothy 2:22 says, “Flee also youthful lusts but follow after righteousness faith charity and peace with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” When the school committee, many years before I became the principal, set up the policy regarding dancing, I am confident that they had the principle of fleeing lustful situations in mind. The question as I see it is, should a Christian place themselves at an event where young ladies will have low cut dresses and be dancing in them? Isn’t it contrary to the example of Joseph and the verses that I stated?

Second, at the beginning of the school year, every family must sign a statement of cooperation. Students in 7th through 12th grades must also sign it. It doesn’t say that you have to agree with them, but that we will all abide by them. What kind of a school would we be if we suspended a policy because it was convenient to do so? That would not be a Christ-like response. Jesus did not avoid trouble. He made statements such as, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the Father but by me” (John 14:6). His statements didn’t make Him popular with the world. Can we expect anything else? The verses that I have thought of throughout this day are Matthew 5:11-12, “Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.” Wow! I can build up a whole lot of rewards in heaven today, and so can you.

Third, when discussing this particular issue with folks in the community please remember that the servant of the Lord "must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness" (2 Tim 2:24, 25).

Esther received great counsel from her uncle Mordecai when he said, “And who knoweth whether thou art come into the kingdom for such a time as this.” (Esther 4:14). This is a time for Heritage to shine as a light in this world. It isn’t easy, but it is right.

So, he was suspended. I applaud the school for not bending to public opinion as they should stand on thier principles (even if I think they are very wrong). I especially applaud the kid who is willing to withstand punishment in order to stand on his principles. Bottom line, he will graduate and he will be a better man (and a better Christian I might add) for having faced adversity.

So, he was suspended. I applaud the school for not bending to public opinion as they should stand on thier principles (even if I think they are very wrong). I especially applaud the kid who is willing to withstand punishment in order to stand on his principles. Bottom line, he will graduate and he will be a better man (and a better Christian I might add) for having faced adversity.

Standing on principles is a fine thing. I think we're in agreement that the school is wrong here.

This school is clearly extending their reach far beyond what is prudent, proper and/or within the scope of their educational mission. The administrators of this school have absolutely NO RIGHT to tell this student what he, or she, can or can't do outside of school, especially since the activity in question is legal--that's the exclusive domain of the parents. Now had the individuals running this school recommended to the student that he not go that would be one thing.

Standing on principles is a fine thing. I think we're in agreement that the school is wrong here.

This school is clearly extending their reach far beyond what is prudent, proper and/or within the scope of their educational mission. The administrators of this school have absolutely NO RIGHT to tell this student what he, or she, can or can't do outside of school, especially since the activity in question is legal--that's the exclusive domain of the parents. Now had the individuals running this school recommended to the student that he not go that would be one thing.

:yeah

front page on Yahoo:

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92559/?fp=1

Tyler Frost, the high school senior who was suspended for attending his girlfriend's prom, has become a sensation in Search. And yet, despite all the news surrounding his fight for the right to get jiggy with it, folks had yet to hear from Frost himself. That wait is over. This morning, the teen went on "The Early Show" to tell his side of the story.

During an interview with Harry Smith, Frost explained that his private Christian school does have a contract stipulating "no dancing." However, he didn't believe it should include dancing outside of school. So, despite a stiff warning from his principal, he went to his girlfriend's prom at another school. He has since been suspended and won't be allowed to take his final exams on time or graduate with the rest of his class.

Despite this, Frost has no regrets, saying that attending his special lady's prom was both "worth the risk" and "the right decision." Frost's stepfather was also there for the interview. He didn't say much before leaving in the middle of the discussion, but he did mention that a lawsuit against the school is in the works. You can watch the entire CBS interview here.

love over religion, I say...I hope the kid scored that night ;)

If it is a private school where there is no public funding supporting the school then the school has every right to set up standards that they require of their student body. But it also can not deny the students' rights per the constitution. If the parents and the student want to abide by this arrangement to obtain a "quality" education that may or may not be superior to public school then by all means follow the rules. If not, get a edukation like I did from a pubic school. :) j/k

To be completely neutral about this issue I think that both are right and both are wrong. Ow! this fence hurts.

GBR

Wow, Carlfense, aren't you a lawyer in training. I defer to your learned opinion, but I am curious as to the legitamacity of the good lady's legal redenering as regards the administrators "rights".

I am curious as to the legitamacity of the good lady's legal redenering as regards the administrators "rights".

Huskertim,

It's called a dose of common sense... :dumdum

If the administrators of this school can tell a kid that he can't go to another school's prom, then they could tell him:

* He's not allowed go to the mall

* He's not allowed to eat pizza

* He's not allowed to to go rollerblading

I mean I could go on and on here, but I won't because you get the idea.

These administrators of this school have a mission to educate their students while on campus-not to act as their parents outside of school.

I am curious as to the legitamacity of the good lady's legal redenering as regards the administrators "rights".

Huskertim,

If the administrators of this school can tell a kid that he can't go to another school's prom, then they could tell him:

These administrators of this school have a mission to educate their students while on campus-not to act as their parents outside of school.

Here's the deal Jen, when you pay tuition to a private school you agree to abide by their rules. When the student and his parents signed on the dotted line, they agreed to the rules set forth by the student handbook. It may be wrong in our opinion, but our opinion doesn't mean squat to a binding contract.

Huskertim,

Here's the deal Jen, when you pay tuition to a private school you agree to abide by their rules. When the student and his parents signed on the dotted line, they agreed to the rules set forth by the student handbook. It may be wrong in our opinion, but our opinion doesn't mean squat to a binding contract.

Abide by their rules while in school/on campus...absolutely.

These school administrators telling this kid what he can't do outside of school is something completely different.

Now, if there is a contract or agreement, signed by the parents and student specifically stating that they agree to the draconian social polices of this school okay. But I'm hard pressed to believe that anyone with a shred of intelligence would willingly agree to abide by this particular set of puritanical rules.

Huskertim,

Abide by their rules while in school/on campus...absolutely.

These school administrators telling this kid what he can't do outside of school is something completely different.

Now, if there is a contract or agreement, signed by the parents and student specifically stating that they agree to the draconian social polices of this school okay. But I'm hard pressed to believe that anyone with a shred of intelligence would willingly agree to abide by this particular set of puritanical rules.

10331096_BG1.jpg

Here's the screen capture of the part of the contract on the infractions warranting suspension/expulsion.

His Dad admits to signing something, but also admits he didn't read it all thoroughly. Whoopsie!

They are exploring the possibility of a lawsuit, but I don't think they have a leg to stand on since he signed the contract but I could be wrong.

10331096_BG1.jpg

Here's the screen capture of the part of the contract on the infractions warranting suspension/expulsion.

His Dad admits to signing something, but also admits he didn't read it all thoroughly. Whoopsie!

They are exploring the possibility of a lawsuit, but I don't think they have a leg to stand on since he signed the contract but I could be wrong.

I'd like to see the rest of that page in context. To see what it refers to. Whether these are things enforced on campus or off too. 'Cause if lying, griping or kissing off campus are all things students can be suspended for....I can bet you that entire school needs to be suspended.

10331096_BG1.jpg

If the kid's dad did sign an agreement like that then I begrudgingly say that the school is right in what they're doing...regardless of how wrong they actually are.

:dumdum