Academic eligibility

The Briscoe thread got me to thinking, "What exactly are the criteria for academic eligibility?".

The Texas site referenced below seems to be the closest I could find that pertains to Big 12 specific rules, but so far I'm reading in a few spots that an athlete isn't allowed to count summer school as part of eligibility. I don't see what it matters when you take the course, as long as it applies towards your degree. While I was never an athlete, I took quite a few summer classes. They all counted!

Progress Toward Degree Requirements

To maintain your eligibility, you must:

1) Complete 24 credits prior to second year of enrollment;

2) Earn 18 semester credits during the academic year (excluding summer);

3) Earn six academic credits in the previous regular academic term or full-time enrollment;

4) Declare a major no later than the beginning of your fifth semester or third year of enrollment and, thereafter, complete the required credits in courses applicable to your declared major;

5) Complete 40%, 60%, and 80% of your degree requirements before the beginning of your third, fourth and fifth years of enrollment, respectively;

6) Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average that is 90% of the minimum GPA required to graduate (at least 1.8) at the beginning of your second year, 95% of the minimum GPA (1.9) at the beginning of the fourth year and 100% of the minimum GPA (2.0) the fifth year.

The Big 12 Six-Hour Rule

A student-athlete must successfully complete at least six credit hours in a regular term (exclusive of intersession and summer credit) with a minimum grade of "C-" or pass six hours with an overall cumulative GPA of 2.0 to be eligible for competition that takes place during the next regular term of the institution. A student-athlete who fails to satisfy this rule and is in his or her last season of competition may neither compete nor be in uniform during postseason and between-term competition occurring after dates to be determined annually by the Big 12. This rule does not apply to student-athletes who have graduated with a bachelor's degree.

NCAA Five-Year Rule

The NCAA states that you have five calendar years in which to complete four years of competition in a sport. This five-year clock begins when you become a full-time student at any collegiate institution. These five years are continuous. If you are not enrolled in school at any time during these five years, you do not regain that time. In special cases, you may be granted an extension of the five-year eligibility clock.