Husker Quarterback Weekly – Baseball Edition

Guest Huskerboard

Guest Huskerboard

Husker Quarterback Weekly – Baseball Edition

Third Times the Charm?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s June and it’s another return visit for the University of Nebraska baseball team to the vaunted grounds of Johnny Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, Nebraska.

Yeah, we’ve been there before, but I don’t feel that awkward hesitation this time. That feeling you get when your girlfriend asks you to get on the rollercoaster, but you’re terrified of the things. Well, I’m not scared anymore. I’m not scared of the “baseball elite” anymore. I want to ride the biggest, baddest Timberwolf there is. We have a chance to win this tourney!

Call it experience, maturity, or even luck, whatever - the Huskers are hot. "They've got a chance to win it because they're hot. It's whoever gets hot when they get there, as we know. Always teams who get there are hot and talented. If they play like they are capable of then they have a good chance” says University of Miami head coach Jim Morris.

Morris has a little experience in Omaha making it there nine time in the previous 11 seasons, winning the whole sha-bang four times.

You say what else they got? Pitching and defense, that’s what else. "We just didn't get into a rhythm. We're a great hitting team and when we're on, we're on. We just had to get things going and we didn't. I give all the credit to the pitchers and Nebraska said Miami center fielder Danny Figueroa who had a slugging percentage of .478. Same feelings his brother Second Baseman Paco Figueroa (.356 avg.) had "The pitching was great. The starters, they just came after us and we just fell behind as hitters and good luck to Nebraska. I give them all the credit.”

In previous years to the ‘blatt, the Huskers Team ERA has been no lower than 3.46 (in 2002). This year it’s at a Walmart like rock bottom price of 2.61, with their four top starters at or below that. Not to mention ace fireman Brett Jensen (15 saves) in the pen.

Defense? Try zero errors in the super regional and one in the regional. A team fielding percentage above .975 for the year. Joe Simokaitis reminds me of Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter with his effortless digs and tosses in the hole and on the run. A true leader.

With Georgia Tech losing, that makes the Huskers one of the favorites…”A FAVORITE!!” This is not by fluke my Huskerboard comrades. You don’t breeze through a regional and then dominate, and I do vehemently repeat DOMINATE your super regional against one of the top D-1 baseball programs in history and have it be an “accident.”

I am looking for more than one win. I’m looking for us to make some serious noise against this field.

Arizona St. - watch out. You were a fair team in an average Pac-10 league. You’re good at home, but you’re average at best on the road. And that’s where you’re headed. You’re not going to a neutral site…you’re going to the Motherland. And Her favorite Son is home for the summer. THIS IS Nebraska. Land of the most passionate, toughest crowd you will ever set your sun dried, Lake Havasu peeled eyes on. We will be loud. We will be rowdy. We will be RED.

And keep those camera-phones on hand – because you’ll need ‘em for a cab ride and a keepsake of the Big Red blur your weekend is about to become before it ends up in that album labeled “EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE”. Oh yeah, be sure to bring your 200 or so family members, because I’m bringing my 20,000 plus face painted, arm pumping, baseball proud, Nebraska Husker proud brothas and sistas.

So pack a light lunch, bring your hardhats, & leave those bags packed - because just like your summer internship you’re in for a Quik Trip.

Flippin’ outta my gourd waiting for Friday - an excited, confident, non-hesitant

Eric The Red

P.S. Check with Huskerboard.com throughout the week for tickets and pictures of The ‘Blatts finest scenery.

P.S.S. To my buddy Carl, I will never refer to Omaha as “Crapaha” again. Mostly because I’m moving there.

I was home in Lincoln for a week on the 27th of May thru the 7th of June and everyone was talking about the Big Red baseball team. What a boost for that program. I also think they will make a big impact on this years series and bring the N/C to Nebraska. Got my big screen this week just in time. GBR!!!!!!!!!