Evaluating NU's out of conference S.O.S.

CBSSports.com has an article breaking down various teams 2009 out of conference strength of schedules including Nebraska's.

Nebraska

Sept. 5: vs. Florida Atlantic, D+

Sept. 12: vs. Arkansas State, F

Sept. 19: at Virginia Tech, A-

Sept. 26: vs. Louisiana-Lafayette, F

Overall grade: D

If Nebraska doesn't win at least nine games with this nonconference slate, I'll jog from Lincoln to Omaha in my skivvies in the dead of winter. Other than the impending loss at Tech, the Huskers will have a soft slate. After the Cajun romp, they'll ease into Big 12 play with games against decimated Missouri and Texas Tech, then back-to-back gimmes vs. Iowa State and Baylor. C'mon guys, show some pride and give the Big Red nation more.

Other than the "impending loss at [VT]Tech" comment, not a bad take. I do think that when the season is over, that the Sun Belt teams we play this year could have surprisingly respectable records. Unfortunately for them (and NU) is that most of those wins will come against other Sun Belt competition.

Wow. I see this as a highly inaccurate take. Missouri and Texas Tech are not decimated. Inexperienced? Yes. Decimated? No. If we split with Missouri and Texas Tech, that is all that can be expected. And Baylor is by no means a gimme. A win? probably. maybe not. More than likely, yes. A gimme? No way.

A nine win season should not be the expectation. It would be nice. It is possible. But we have a tough schedule. Texas tech, Kansas, Missouri, Baylor, and Colorado could all be wins... or all losses. Neither is very likely. Rather, against that crew a 3-2 record is a reasonable guess (or a 2-3 record). Expect losses to OU and VTech. So an 8-4 or a 7-5 regular season seems reasonable an expectation. If NU wins 9 games, that means they go 4-1 vs. Texas tech, Kansas, Missouri, Baylor, and Colorado --- such would be wonderful. It may happen. But... I would not expect it.

A 9 win season (regular season) would be quite an accomplishment.

If they don't go at least 4-1, I'll be highly pissed.