My favorite memories.....share yours!

I'm 42 and Thanksgiving Day 1971 was a turning point in my life. We had moved to California from Nebraska in 1965 (I was only two) and at the age of 8 I watched my first Husker football game; the Game of the Century between OU and Nebraska. Over the many years, I have tucked away some very special moments in Husker history that I thought I would share. Some good, some not so good, but still memorable:

1. The impression and pride that Johnny Rodgers punt return in 1971 made on a young 8-year old. It made me a fan for life. I was proud to be a Nebraskan born in Fremont that day.

2. Jim Pillen's recovery of Billy Sim's fumble on the NU 3 yard line to seal Tom Osborne's first victory over Barry Switzer. The hit on Sim's was devestating.

3. Ruud's devestating hit on punt returner Kelly Phelps of OU which jarred the ball free for an obvious fumble which was ruled no fumble.

4. Storming out the door and slamming the screen door after the horrible "extended endzone" touchdown given to Penn State in 1982.

5. Almost throwing my 12" black & white tv out the window after NU lost to Clemson in 1982 which would've given the Huskers a National Championship.

6. While in Air Force basic training in January 1984, sneaking into the tv dayroom to watch the Huskers and Hurricanes play in the Orange Bowl and the devastating feeling after that loss. Getting caught in the dayroom after "lights out" would've surely got me in a lot of trouble.

7. Leaving the "Swing Doors" Tavern in Spokane, WA with my tail between my legs when Barry Switzer, Jamelle Holliway, and Keith Jackson worked some "Sooner Magic" to defeat the Huskers in 1987(?). The Huskers wore all red uniforms which probably should never be done again.

8. The sure adjulation of winning the National Championship in 1994. It was even more special because it was against Miami on the their home turf. Very fitting because Miami had the Huskers number throughout the 80s.

9. Tommie Frazier's touchdown run against the Gators. Probably one of the greatest runs in all of college football history.

10. Matt Davison's season-saving catch against the Mizzou Tigers in the endzone on the final seconds of the game. Davison has secured his place in Husker history.

11. Mike Stuntz to Eric Crouch against the Sooners for a touchdown. Frank Solich's greatest call.

12. Eric Crouch's touchdown run for 94 yards against the Mizzou Tigers and his bone-crunching hit on an Iowa State defenseman. Eric Crouch was special.

13. Full-filling a lifelong dream in 1998 by attending my first home game in Lincoln against the Washington Huskies. I was treated to a 55-7 win. I will never forget the feeling of walking into Memorial Stadium for the first time in my life. It made me remember the line from the movie "Rudy" when his father walks into Notre Dame's stadium and says "This is the greatest sight my eyes have ever seen". I felt the same way and was filled with pride. The whole experience was surreal for me and seems like a dream. It proved to me that dreams really do come true.

There are more like going to my first ever game in Pasadena, CA and watching Troy Aikman and the Bruins destroy the Huskers in 1988 or the "Disaster in the Desert" against ASU in 1999, but for now that's all I'll share....

I've met Husker fans in California and Washington and even though I've never met them it seems like we've known each other for a while. Sharing that game with me on Thanksgiving Day 1971 was one of the greatest things my Dad (God rest his soul) ever did together. We listened to many games on the radio in California (Thanks Californians for Nebraskans for sponsoring those games!)

Do you have any to share?