Baseball 2005: Season Ending thoughts

I know that a lot of this will not go over well with some of you, but this is my brief take on the season.

First, this was truly a great year, probably the greatest in NU baseball history, congratulations to the whole team. I think that for any of us to be upset about going to the CWS and getting the first win in Omaha would be pretty bad, but to go out the way they did was pretty disheartening. Beginning the CWS, my thoughts were that NU’s bracket was a tossup. I would not have been surprised to see NU make it to the championship game, and I would not have been surprised to see them go 2 and Q. I had no clue who was going to come out of that side. As for the other bracket, it is playing out exactly how I figured, as I feel that UT is the favorite in this CWS. They don’t have eye-popping numbers, but the do everything fundamentally correctly, and just win.

Congrats to Gordon being the #2 overall draft pick, but I really wish that the draft would be held later in the year, as it sure would have been nice if he would have stayed with the team after the regionals. Heck, with him, Duensing (sp?) and Ledbetter all leaving for their respective teams after the regionals, it left NU will 3 huge holes to fill. I’m glad that at least Kroenke (sp?), Simo, and Jensen stayed with the team through the CWS.

This team was very, very good, but they are kind of the opposite of UT, as I don’t feel that they are very fundamentally sound. Sure, their pitching was good all year and the D was good (up until the CWS). The O put up some good numbers (mostly against bad teams), but failed to produce well consistently against top competition. I have said it since the Big 12 season started: NU has not hit well all year with runners in scoring position, and they fail to do things fundamentally to manufacture runs. Look at what UT does, heck look at how ASU and BU ended their games: Get a runner on with no outs, bunt to second, a little base hit---game over. NU failed to do that time and time again. NU has been horrible all year scoring runners and leaving guys on base. Also, that guy playing for Ledbetter was not very good, booting balls, not catching pop flys, and striking out against top-level pitching, as it did not help NU at all. Opitz may end up being a pretty good player, but his 2 fielding miscues were huge today. NU looked scared to face the top of the other teams lineup, where as the other teams went right through NU’s 1-4 hitters (except for Simo), and showed no fear in facing them. When your .230 hitting 9-hole guy has more quality at bats and big RBIs than your Player of the Year, it should tell you something. It sure seemed like any pitching change by opponents (ASU, UF, UM) just messed NU up and threw them out of wack. I mean, these guys that were coming in had ERAs from 4.50 to 6.00, and NU made them look like freaking Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, and Curt Schilling. At least they didn’t have any horrific base running errors like they had been having most of the year. It seems like NU is missing something fundamentally, but I’m not sure if it is a reflection of the players, or of the coach.

I guess that during the CWS, Anderson made some pretty weird calls, too. Pulling Buckman for that other first baseman was pretty bad. Pulling Dorn for that one left-handed pitcher was also questionable. Putting in pinch-hitters who were hitting below .260 just to get the correct righty-lefty “advantage” never really did seem to work out, either.

On the bright side, NU looks like they may be pretty good next year, as they should be upper level in the Big 12, and should make it to NCAA regional play. Gerch was wonderful all year, Christy was great behind the dish, and was the best clutch hitter on the team. Werhle (sp?) and Opitz should be good up the middle, and Buckman should be solid at 1st. Adam Moore should contribute somehow, and Bohannon (sp?) should be able to either be very good at 3rd or on the mound. NU needs to find some more outfielders (Nimmo is supposed to be very good), and get some pop in the middle of the lineup (3rd, 1st, or DH). The pitching again looks good, as Joba and Dorn were wonderful, I just hope that they don’t go Jamie Rodrigue. I think that Watson may be able to get that 3rd starter job, and Weurtz (sp?) looks like he should be good, too. Jensen should return, which would be great, but they need to get some more bullpen depth, as hopefully Timm can get a 6th year.

All in all, great year, just disappointed about the ending, as those little fundamental mistakes really get to me. Great season guys, come back and get them again, next year!

The team never looked comfortable. Maybe too much pressure playing in front of a home crowd.

Gordon got frustrated, and Ledbetter was TERRIBLE, both at the plate and in the field.

Pitching wasn't too bad, but the big bats didn't come through. Oh well, we should have some momentum now for future years.

The best is yet to come!!

Gordon may have looked pretty bad with a few strikeouts, but it seems every year the studs that come in always struggle. Maybe that's because they're facing top-notch talent each game, or that they press a bit too much. Gordon fielded the ball really well in all 3 games, and he hit the ball hard most of the time when he made contact, it just went straight to the defenders.

Very frustrating to lose, but we had a great season and the team really gave Nebraskans something to be proud of this year.

I told myself yesterday that I refuse to be upset. Didn't work, but it was worth a try. That kind of a loss was truly disheartening, but man, was I proud to be a Husker the way they fought back!

That said, I can't wait until next year. This team should be even better. So much young talent. Losing Gordon won't help, but this was truly a TEAM, and not just one player. And don't forget the Huskers got over the hump this year with a win.

If it were next year at this time and NU went 1-2, it would be a huge disappointment. This year, it was truly a special year.

Here's to hoping (and being confident that it will happen) there will be many more special years to come!

I told myself yesterday that I refuse to be upset. Didn't work, but it was worth a try. That kind of a loss was truly disheartening, but man, was I proud to be a Husker the way they fought back!

That said, I can't wait until next year. This team should be even better. So much young talent. Losing Gordon won't help, but this was truly a TEAM, and not just one player. And don't forget the Huskers got over the hump this year with a win.

If it were next year at this time and NU went 1-2, it would be a huge disappointment. This year, it was truly a special year.

Here's to hoping (and being confident that it will happen) there will be many more special years to come!

Don't get ahead of yourself Indiana. We're probably going to lose the best coach on the team (Childress) and that could be huge. I just hope he doesn't go coach for Dollar Bill.

However, I'm really optimistic as well and the talent we're bringing in should help us continue the success. Hopefully we're back in Omaha next summer again. This was fun!

I still don't get why Ledbetter was in the game.(I know the whole Lefty-Righty yadda yadda yadda) He had his head down the whole time in Omaha and maybe even since the Regional. Buckman was 2-2 and they bring in a guy that was 1 for his last 19. As far as Gordan goes if there isn't anyone behind you to protect you nobody is going to throw you a good pitch. He got stuff to hit against Florida and hit it hard. He just missed sending one into the seats his first at bat. Oh well they are only 18-22 year old kids I guess this stuff is expected. I still have my doubts about Anderson though. We'll see next year.

I told myself yesterday that I refuse to be upset.  Didn't work, but it was worth a try.  That kind of a loss was truly disheartening, but man, was I proud to be a Husker the way they fought back!

That said, I can't wait until next year.  This team should be even better.  So much young talent.  Losing Gordon won't help, but this was truly a TEAM, and not just one player.  And don't forget the Huskers got over the hump this year with a win. 

If it were next year at this time and NU went 1-2, it would be a huge disappointment.  This year, it was truly a special year. 

Don't get ahead of yourself Indiana. We're probably going to lose the best coach on the team (Childress) and that could be huge. I just hope he doesn't go coach for Dollar Bill.

However, I'm really optimistic as well and the talent we're bringing in should help us continue the success. Hopefully we're back in Omaha next summer again. This was fun!

While I think the loss of Childress is a bad thing, I believe in Anderson. He'll find someone capable.

I still say next year should be another great year. Loads of talent back. Should win 50 games and win at least 2 in the CWS. Anything short will be a disappointment.

I hope your right indianahusker... but to say 50 wins and 2 CWS at this point... too early to tell. With Dorn's injury and the lack of a power hitter, I'm not sure we will get 50 next year. But overall should be another solid team and hopefully some of these "stud" recuits can come in and play right away. Would be great to see a couple huskers start swinging with more power and consistancy. Gerch looks to be the next big thing! Plus we should still have solid pitching. I just hope we find a couple home run threats instead of relying on one guy to carry us. That is no rip on Gordon, he just had such little help infront of him that no team ever had to pitch to him the entire CWS. Plus, after getting zero good pitches, anyone would start swinging away at junk.

We did one hell of a job this year! Great job to all the coaches and players! GBR

-Pile

I hope your right indianahusker... but to say 50 wins and 2 CWS at this point... too early to tell. With Dorn's injury and the lack of a power hitter, I'm not sure we will get 50 next year. But overall should be another solid team and hopefully some of these "stud" recuits can come in and play right away. Would be great to see a couple huskers start swinging with more power and consistancy. Gerch looks to be the next big thing! Plus we should still have solid pitching. I just hope we find a couple home run threats instead of relying on one guy to carry us. That is no rip on Gordon, he just had such little help infront of him that no team ever had to pitch to him the entire CWS. Plus, after getting zero good pitches, anyone would start swinging away at junk.

We did one hell of a job this year! Great job to all the coaches and players! GBR

-Pile

Good points, well said!

:thumbs

I still don't get why Ledbetter was in the game.(I know the whole Lefty-Righty yadda yadda yadda) He had his head down the whole time in Omaha and maybe even since the Regional. Buckman was 2-2 and they bring in a guy that was 1 for his last 19. As far as Gordan goes if there isn't anyone behind you to protect you nobody is going to throw you a good pitch. He got stuff to hit against Florida and hit it hard. He just missed sending one into the seats his first at bat. Oh well they are only 18-22 year old kids I guess this stuff is expected. I still have my doubts about Anderson though. We'll see next year.

Gotta agree with you on this one. He was trying to get the matchups, but this was a poor call. Also, we hadn't done much of this all year so why start now?