TF speaks about NU coaches

Tommie Frazier: ‘You’ve got the right coaches at Nebraska now’

Jack Denker

Sports Editor

This week, however, the former Husker great might best be referred to as Transition Tommie.

One week after being named the head football coach at Doane College in Crete, Frazier said he’s been busy extremely busy filling out his Tiger coaching staff, while wrapping up his duties as assistant director of athletic development at the University of Nebraska.

“This is my last official duty for Nebraska,” Frazier told an audience of 35 at the weekly Blair Rotary Club meeting, held at the Pizza Hut, last Tuesday. “That’s why I’m here today, to talk about Nebraska football. I won’t be able to devote my entire attention to my new position at Doane, or even talk about my new team, until later this week.”

Frazier, who graduated from UNL in 1996 with a degree in communication studies, turned his final tour of duty for UNL athletics into a state of the Husker football team address.

During his 25-minute presentation, Frazier said Nebraska’s 5-6 record last year was avoidable.

“Nebraska should never go 5-6 in football,” Frazier said. “Forty years of dominance went down with that record, and it never should have happened.”

A dip in the talent level was the primary reason for the losing record according to Frazier.

“That record was not a reflection of the current coaching staff,” Frazier said. “Nebraska’s recruiting dropped off dramatically under the last coaching staff. Consequently, the talent level wasn’t where it needed to be last year. Coach (Frank) Solich and I are good friends, but I thought it was time to make a change.”

Deteriorating football facilities at UNL caused many top-level recruits to look elsewhere the past four years he said.

“When I was being recuited, Nebraska had the best facilities in the land,” Frazier said. “Today, Nebraska’s facilities are not even in the top six in the Big 12 Conference.”

All that is about to change according to the former Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award winner.

“Nebraska football is coming back,” he said. “You have the right coaches here (at UNL) now.”

Frazier said that improved recruiting over the last 12 months is the primary reason for his optimism.

“After going 5-6 last year this coaching staff goes out and signs a top five recruiting class,” he said. “That should tell you something right there.”

By bringing in such highly touted prospects as Harrison Beck, Marlon Lucky and Phillip Dillard, Frazier said NU’s talent level is on the rise.

“It (college football) is all about players,” Frazier said. “Players make coaches what they are. You have to go out and recruit at the highest level year in and year out. This coaching staff went out and found the best athletes out there and brought them in here.”

The person Frazier believes is most responsible for upgrading the Husker talent level is Nebraska’s chief recruiter, John Blake, one of the NU assistant coaches.

“He has the ability to go into someone’s home and make that person want to come and play for him,” Frazier said. “Not every coach has that gift.”

By talking about the benefits of running the West Coast Offense Frazier said that Blake, who he describes as a “used car salesman” is selling a message that young players want to hear.

“It (the West Coast Offense) is a sign of the times,” Frazier said. “Players these days want to make it to the NFL (National Football League). So they want to go to a school that runs a pro style offense, because that’s what player’s want. This staff is aware of that.”

Something else football player’s want are the best facilities to work out, lounge, practice and play in.

“There’s a $50-million project going on right now (down in Lincoln at Memorial Stadium),” Frazier said. “So I urge you (Husker fans) to get involved. When Nebraska wins, people are willing to spend.”

The $50-million project Frazier is referring to is the Tom and Nancy Osborne Athletic Complex and new indoor facility.

“This day and age, it’s not about the coaching,” Frazier said. “It’s about the players. They want the finer things in life because that’s what they’ve grown up with. It’s hard to sell the storied history of Nebraska football to young athletes today, because tradition only goes so far.”

Having been a part of that well-documented tradition has Frazier believing a return to glory is not that far off for Nebraska football.

“Players make a coach,” he said. “Players make a team and players make a university. With the talent coming in, and Coach (Bill ) Callahan’s system in place, I predict Nebraska will be a bowl team this year.”

Following that bold prediction, Frazier said it’s now time for him to turn his attention to helping his new team–the Doane Tigers–win some football games.

“Hopefully I’m going to hire some coaches, and recruit some players that will take the stress away from me,” Frazier said. “That way I can be out there on the golf course like Bobby Bowden and Steve Spurrier.

Transition Tommie’s head coaching career will officially begin right here in Blair, when Frazier brings his Tigers to Dana College, to play the Vikings, on Sept. 3.