Harrahs Sports Sound off.....

If you take my comparison, Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 in his first season. I'm sure everyone on the Cowboys boards sounded a lot like a former fan after that year. But I'm sure those former fans came back once the 'boys won the Bowl. Are you going to do the same, FF?

BTW, blaming Illinois' mediocre record on the OL coach is absurd. Taking another man's team to the Super Bowl is absurd too. If Gruden is such a great coach, where was his team the last couple of years. I guarantee if you ask any head coach in the NFL how easy it is to get to a Super Bowl game, they're going to look at you like you're an idiot. It's not easy at all.

He had pretty good success as the OC for the Raiders. THose seasons must of slipped your mind. Wait let me guess that was all Gruden.

Yes, it was Gruden's system, it was his team.

billy c. changed the system to his own version of the WCO in his second year, which was what led to alot of the dissention on the Raiders.

If you take my comparison, Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 in his first season. I'm sure everyone on the Cowboys boards sounded a lot like a former fan after that year. But I'm sure those former fans came back once the 'boys won the Bowl. Are you going to do the same, FF?

BTW, blaming Illinois' mediocre record on the OL coach is absurd. Taking another man's team to the Super Bowl is absurd too. If Gruden is such a great coach, where was his team the last couple of years. I guarantee if you ask any head coach in the NFL how easy it is to get to a Super Bowl game, they're going to look at you like you're an idiot. It's not easy at all.

Huge difference. The Cowboys were bad for a few years prior to JJ getting there, and NU won 10 games prior to billy c. getting here. Johnson was thought of a one of the best college coaches, after winning 2 NC's (I think) at Miami. billy c. isnt thought of in the top tier of head coaches at either the college or pro levels, and he has no history of any sustained success.

I never said that getting a team to the SB is easy, but it wasnt his team, and he was one of the main reasons why they lost.

He had pretty good success as the OC for the Raiders.  THose seasons must of slipped your mind.  Wait let me guess that was all Gruden.

Yes, it was Gruden's system, it was his team.

billy c. changed the system to his own version of the WCO in his second year, which was what led to alot of the dissention on the Raiders.

So was Callahan calling the plays or was Gruden? Don't you think Callahans and Grudens offensive games plans are basically the same. I'm sure Gruden would just hand over the keys to the offense to a guy but make him run his (Gruden) offense. It doesn't make sense. Once again all Gruden and nothing to do with Callahan. :wacko:

I never said that getting a team to the SB is easy, but it wasnt his team, and he was one of the main reasons why they lost.

Actually it was his team, he was the HC. It was also his team when they went 4-12. And it was his team at NU that went 5-6. However, he did have some different players each time that affected his records.

Maybe league MVP Gannon being injured in 03 had a hand in the 4-12 season?

Maybe JD's lack of skill had a hand in the 04 5-6 season? Or the lack of personnel wanted/needed for the WCO to work?

You can't ask BC to run the option offense if he has no experience doing so.

So many variables, such a flawed argument blaming Callahan for all the demise yet giving him no credit for any success. I can just see it now: NU goes 9-3 this year, and they did it by overcoming BC's ignorance and coming together as players. They go 5-6, BC is to blame for it all?