The Telling Stats of Alabama's Win

Husker_x

First downs: Alabama-22, V-tech-11

V-tech 3rd down conversions: 2-12

Turnovers: Alabama-2, V-tech-2

TOP: Alabama-37.02, V-tech-22.58

Rushing: Alabama's Ingram 26/150 (Apprx. 5.7/carry)

Passing: V-tech's Tyrod taylor 9/20 for 91 yards.

When thinking about how Alabama defeated Virginia Tech––and how the Huskers hope to do it again in a few days––I think the discussion is focussing on the wrong things. Road crowds can be taken out of the game. Teams can adapt to the noise after a series or two. Taylor is mobile, but he probably won't account for a ton of points.

I've thought all along that our offense is going to win or lose this game. The D is going to give up a couple touchdowns, maybe more, but I believe that we have the horses to do two primary things. First, keep the defense off the field, stretch drives, have a high conversion rate. Second and most importantly, never leave the red zone without points. I don't know how much deep ball to expect on Saturday. I'm sure Lee is being drilled as we speak that there's no room for error against a team like Virginia Tech. Wobbly balls, low balls––all spell INTs. But what Alabama demonstrated is something the Huskers need to take note of: You don't have to win the turnover battle, but you have to damn well make sure it ends in a tie.

Our offense is going to score. The question is going to be how often and how long do they take to do it. If Nebraska plays a clean game on special teams and Lee avoids trying to win the game by himself, there's no reason to think Virginia Tech is unbeatable. The voodoo stats of home non-con wins mean nothing. Truth is you don't have to pack a great defense to play Virginia Tech. You need a good one, but they're not going to kill you the way Florida is going to kill you.

Nebraska has the horses. Question is can we get them lined up and going the same direction. Whatever happens with the defense, I think our offense is our edge.

Suh and Crick need tp play lights out, it is a must IMO.

The whole D-line definitely needs to contain, contain, contain. They need to get to Taylor and get to him fast. I'm not worried too much about their passing attack, but the run game if allowed to get settled pays increasing returns as the game goes on. We've got to convert them into a passing offense if at all possible. Otherwise we leave ourselves huffing and puffing in the fourth––not where we want to be.