Official Good, Bad, Ugly Thread: VaTech

The Good: Despite the loss, I found a lot to be encouraged about. Alex Henery. 5/5 on FGs... double duty doesn't seem to be affecting him . The O- and D-lines. After the first quarter they dominated the game. Ok, so I knew our D-line would be fine this year, but I still had my questions about the O-line. They erased any questions I had and I have the confidence in them to control almost any team left on our schedule. Defensive execution. We did everything we wanted to do coming into this game. We stopped the run. We contained Tyrod Taylor. He had nowhere to go whenever he wanted to tuck it an run. We made him try and beat us with his arm, and unfortunately he made a couple of plays and did.

The Bad: No TDs. Obviously if we put even one into the endzone, we're not trying to repair our broken hearts today. But you gotta give credit to VT's defense. They aren't a great defense, but they are still a good defense. And good defenses will hunker down in the redzone. Probably why they are one of three teams to win at least 10 games in each of the last 5 years.

The Ugly: Penalties again. Mainly the four on one drive late in the 3rd quarter. A holding call negates a TD, again. Then a false start. Then another holding (I didn't think Big XII officials called holding?). Then another false start. I don't know if that is the correct order in which they occurred, but still... 1st and Goal from the 6 turned into 4th and Goal from about the 40. Even if we come away with a field goal, at worst the game goes into overtime.

Bonus:

Sweet: USC chokes again. :laughpound That trip up to Seattle for us next year looks a little more interesting, at least for the time being. Could've been a fluke... or not, who knows? It's still hilarious, though.

I think you can throw Meno into one of the 'bad' or 'ugly' categories. Dropped TD, another early in the game any other WR on the team likely gets, another drop to start the 2nd half.

To be a supposed 'possession' WR, he is incredibly slow and has some horrid hands.

Why someone like Brooks, Kinnie or even Cooper doesn't get more of his snaps I do not know.

Also, should give some props to Dillard. Dude really showed up yesterday and deserves more PT going forward. Really nice game from him.

Good:

- Henery is an x factor for us

- Helu is one of the best backs in the Big 12 when we let him be

- Defensive line. Pass breakups, sacks, containment.

- DB's kept their receivers under wraps all game... until, well you know.

- Experience. If they didn't have a chip on their shoulder coming in, you can bet they will going forward. This game should go a long way in preparing us for the conference schedule.

Bad:

- Receivers had lots of issues getting open and issues catching the ball, again.

- Pass blocking. If lee hadn't had pressure on him all-game-long, he and the receivers might have looked a bit better.

Ugly:

- Bad call. I'm sorry but there is no excuse for playing cover 2 when the opponent has to score a touchdown, has no timeouts left, ,little time left on the clock, and has to go 80 yards. First downs wouldn't hurt us, big plays did.

- Execution when it matters. Redzone and 3rd/4th and long woes.

I think you can throw Meno into one of the 'bad' or 'ugly' categories. Dropped TD, another early in the game any other WR on the team likely gets, another drop to start the 2nd half.

To be a supposed 'possession' WR, he is incredibly slow and has some horrid hands.

Why someone like Brooks, Kinnie or even Cooper doesn't get more of his snaps I do not know.

Also, should give some props to Dillard. Dude really showed up yesterday and deserves more PT going forward. Really nice game from him.

The dropped passes and Dillard completely slipped my mind. Good call on those.