Reality Check

Many times I find it very hard to sift through the garbage that is posted on here...most of those times are after losses obviously! What really gets me is why there are never legitimate discussions as to what the real root of the problem is....

Playmakers, Game-Breakers, Difference Makers....words not associated with Nebraska football lately (save Suh and Co. on D-Line)

This is the fundamental problem with Nebraska football right now! (And in the recent past) After watching a few of the top-ranked programs today, I sat and discussed with a few different buddies and it is so abundantly clear that outside of the D-Line and maybe the whole D, we don't have ANYONE that can change the game on a dime....

A couple of ideas came to mind to nullify this issues...

1 - True identity on offense - Establishing an identity and getting the 15-17 guys that make up that identity reps in practice should be a major priority. I'm tired of the 9-10 WR rotation we have and 4-5 TE rotation. Florida doesn't do that....Texas doesn't do that....Bama doesn't do that....SC, well they sort of do it, but only at RB....they keep it simple and make sure their best athletes are on the field. We have a WR that was drafted in baseball as a CF that can't even get on the field...I have an issue with that! Dumb it down or do whatever to get him involved....

2 - When is the last time a Defensive-minded football team had bad special teams??? Bama, Iowa, Texas, Florida, SC, Va Tech all use starters on Special Teams because those are the guys that make plays!!! Get the play-makers involved...and if Niles Paul is such a player, you shouldn't have to have 10 guys creating a wall for him...he should be able to make plays in space...

3 - Change the tempo....now I am taking some principles I learned from 7th grade basketball...if you are going slow and running set plays all the time, and they are stopping you, sometimes the best thing to do is give it to the playmaker and let him create!!! With that said, basically, what I am getting at is changing the tempo, go no huddle and run some iso plays...throw once to the left (Zac does know you are allowed to throw left, right???) and let Paul/Holt/Gilleyen/Mendoza/Bell/Kinnie/or whoever the hell is over there make some plays and then get right back up on the ball and do it again, maybe going right...but for God's sake change the pace!!!!

If those 3 basic issues can't be addressed, than what we saw today and last week will become more and more frequent....which is UNACCEPTABLE!

The last thing I will say is that if any of you were ever in platooning roles as athletes, or just fighting for playing time, remember how many times you thought "If I don't beat this defender I will get pulled" or "If I don't get extra yards, they'll put him back in"...those thoughts can't creep into athletes' heads OR mistakes will happen! 8 Turnovers WILL happen...the kid shouldn't have to beat a guy out all winter, all spring, all fall camp and then make one mistake and get benched! If Paul is "The #1" than even when he makes a mistake, he needs the ball back...otherwise, you will get guys who are hurt convinced they need to play or they will lose their spot (ie Helu)....

Sorry for the rant....just thought it was time to open up an honest conversation about the underlying issues here