Is the Defense in Trouble?

Heinie44

Will Pelini's absense hurt Blackshirts  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is tough to answer now. We'll have to see who Cally brings in. Pelini brought a lot of great characteristics to the team. Or back, depending on how you look at it. Let's remember NU got crushed in their three loses. But that's probably not a fair statement to make. Instead of looking at what we will be missing think about what he brought to NU. He may have saved us from truely going under. Without his defense gamplan, NU probably has two or three more loses. I mean that was the gameplan this year. Defense get turnovers and give our offense 20 yard drives for scores. Or pick up the mess the offense left, ex. fumbling in our own territory. He brought and introduced many new techniques, gameplans and stunts. Thing that next years team won't have to learn. There's a good chance that whomever comes in will do similiar things.

What are you going to do?? Let's see who he brings in. When he does we'll here all the pretty stories and how everyone this "new guy" has known in the past and how many great things he's done and we'll all be happy. :P

Yes of course there will be immediate impacts. with all these coaches leaving is enough, not to mention if they take some players and/or recruits with them. I think sanders was a big reason our secondary was lock down this yr, and even was more responsible for the blackshirts return than peopl think. it wasnt all bo. but now we have neither so well never know. great. yes were going to be set back a few yrs at least b/c of this. its like trying to replace someone at your job to do what took you all of last yr to learn. the pepporoni pizzas just wont be the same... :(

i'm hoping callahan has a good idea as to who he wants to running his D.

i wanted pelini, but that's just me, i guess... and i can whine and cry like a five-year-old as much as i want, but that ain't gonna change the fact that bo is outward bound.

i don't want to say we're screwed or not until i hear something about the canidates for the job.

This is an area that I actually think could become a strength under Callahan. If he hires a top-notch defensive staff - basically with NFL experience - I have to think the level of teaching might even improve a bit. And it sure can't hurt to tell recruits, "Coaches So-and-So spent X number of years with six NFL teams. If you have the talent, we can best prepare you for the pros."

Good point, in fact, there are probably many that are better. Word is the DC from University of Wisconsin is in town now. Confirmed by his wife. They are old buddies from his time in Wisconsin. What's his name>???

But he has recruited awfully well. A Jim Thorpe award and many big ten LB's that lead the conference. WHen he was at Illinois he got Jeff George.

i think the thing that made an impression on huskernation was bo's zeal for d. it wasn't a job, it was a passion. and it was a passion that re-ignited the Blackshirt and reminded us of the McBride era.

you're right to say there could be someone out there who is more technically competent than bo to take over the Blackshirts. but if he's going to be replaced, i want someone who is bo to the second power.

a super bo.

industrial-strength bo.

TURBO-bo. (?)

dig?

i want someone who'll teach the kids the finer points of d, but will also instill fire in these boys and turn them into wild-eyed, amped-up, ball-chasing, run-stopping, hard-hittin' Blackshirts fanatics.

my opinion, of course. not that it really matters.