***Saturday Husker News***

85sqbigred.jpg

The show must go on at tight end

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Between them, all the tight ends available this week as Nebraska opened football practice have caught exactly zero passes.

That's one fewer than center Kurt Mann; one fewer than former quarterback Joe Dailey.

In other words, that's not good. The absence of senior All-America candidate Matt Herian, still recovering from two operations to repair a fractured left leg, leaves NU in a difficult spot.

But Josh Mueller and J.B. Phillips, the Huskers who figure to play most in place of Herian, have a message for the worriers: It'll be OK.

"Matt's a real big loss," said Mueller, a 6-foot-5, 265-pound sophomore from Columbus, Neb. "I hope he does get back to play. But if he's not with us this year, all of us feel like we've got it in us to fill that role."

Nebraska began training camp on Thursday with Herian watching from the sideline. Coach Bill Callahan didn't declare his injured two-year starter out for the season, but Callahan sounded pessimistic about a quick return.

Herian was hurt Oct. 30 in an NU victory over Missouri. He initially tried to make it back for spring practice but needed surgery again in April.

So instead of opening this season with a player who needs just nine catches, five touchdowns and 58 yards to break all three NU tight-end records, the Huskers get Mueller, Phillips and a swarm of even more unproven youngsters.

To make matters worse, the tight end position is considered essential to the productivity of Nebraska's offense.

"You can't replace Matt Herian. I'll be up front with that," Phillips said. "But all of us bring a lot to the table. We all have our own certain strengths, and we overlap quite a bit. I'm confident that for as long as he's out, we'll do more than just get the job done."

Phillips, a 6-foot-3, 255-pound sophomore out of Colleyville, Texas, shared time last season with senior Dusty Keiser after Herian went down. Phillips played in all 11 games and started the season finale against Colorado.

He then earned the most improved offensive player award in spring practice.

It sounds nice, but no one knows how far it will go toward replacing Herian's 20.6-yard average on 53 receptions during the past three years.

Redshirt freshman Clayton Sievers could also make an impact, in addition to newcomer David Harvey. Walk-ons Sean Hill, Andy Sand and Hunter Teafatiller were also invited among the early reporting players this month.

All of them, like Mueller and Phillips, have yet to catch a pass at Nebraska. The two more experienced players, though, appear separate from the rest.

According to Phillips, one season of play in the NU offense helped him immensely. He said he has grown stronger, but the biggest difference from a year ago is his understanding of the system.

"This offense is pretty tricky for a tight end," Phillips said. "We're used in every facet. We run a lot of two-tight sets, which means you not only have to know what you're doing but what someone else is supposed to do on a lot of plays."

For example, Phillips said, many formations call for him to act as a fullback. Mueller may occasionally fill the role of a sixth lineman.

But can either of them play like Herian, who was often more dangerous than even the NU wide receivers?

"He can teach us," Mueller said. "He does it already. He's here and gives us advice on running routes, how to throw the defense off. Just because he's not there doesn't mean we're going to change as an offense.

"It's going to be the same system, and this offense is still definitely going to require the tight end to be a receiver."

Link

NU Notes: Grixby says he'll play basketball

BY DIRK CHATELAIN AND MITCH SHERMAN

LINCOLN - Sophomore Cortney Grixby may be battling for a starting spot at cornerback this month but he's still planning to join the Husker basketball team after the season. He intended to play for Barry Collier last year but opted for football conditioning.

"Basketball has always been a dream for me," said Grixby, who stands just 5-foot-9 but can dunk easily thanks to a 40-inch vertical jump.

During the summer, Grixby and a few football players occasionally challenged the basketball Huskers. The basketball team won, but "we gave them some competition." Grixby's basketball lineup included Zackary Bowman, Titus Adams, Cory Ross and Barry Cryer.

As for the cornerbacks, a serious question mark going into fall camp, Grixby is the most experienced returnee. He started just two games last season and had just four pass breakups. Grixby said incoming defensive backs like Bowman and Bryan Wilson should make an impact.

"They are some great players and they're learning fast," Grixby said. "All of us are going to contribute and help us win this year."

Ross likes depth at running back

I-back Cory Ross could worry that Nebraska's young bevy of backs might take away his carries this fall. But Ross, a senior who rushed for 1,102 yards last year, is excited about NU's depth.

Sophomore Brandon Jackson and freshmen Marlon Lucky, Leon Jackson and Cody Glenn should make for intense competition in practice - none were available last spring.

"This is going to be a special place," Ross said. "This is what the University of Nebraska always has is I-backs. We're just trying to get a stable of them."

Ross said Glenn, a 230-pound Texan, offers coaches a different style.

"He's a big back," said Ross, a 5-foot-6, 195-pounder. "Give it to the big back; that's what (Bill) Callahan says all the time on the goal line."

If Ross wants his share of touchdowns, "I've got to break a 40-yard run then."

No word from NCAA on eligibility

Offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said there has been no change regarding the five Nebraska newcomers who haven't yet been declared eligible by the NCAA. Those Huskers: receiver Tyrell Spain, offensive linemen Jordan and Rodney Picou, tight end Justin Tomerlin and I-back Leon Jackson.

Yellow jerseys are awarded

First, Lance Armstrong. Now . . . Stewart Bradley?

Bradley, Nebraska's junior strongside linebacker, donned a fancy, yellow jersey Friday afternoon at practice - one of three awarded before the workout. He said coach Bill Callahan has made it a policy this season to reward one player each from the offensive, defensive and special teams units as players of the day.

Bradley, I-back Cory Ross and kick returner Frantz Hardy were the recipients from Thursday's opening practice.

"We're having fun with it," Bradley said. "It's kind of like 'Tour de Camp.'"

NU has incorporated a few other new features into its daily practice sessions, Bradley said. In one, the Huskers' video crew will "mic up" players at practice, a la Monday Night Football, and let the whole team see the results during daily tape-watching sessions.

Coaches' poll lists 3 NU foes in Top 25

Nebraska will play at least three teams this season ranked among the top 25 on the USA Today college football preseason coaches' poll, released Friday.

Oklahoma (No. 5), Texas Tech (No. 21) and Pittsburgh (No. 25) all will visit Memorial Stadium this season.

Overall, four Big 12 teams are ranked, with Texas heading the list at No. 2. Texas A&M is ranked No. 17.

The SEC had the most teams ranked with six, headed by Tennessee at No. 3. The ACC had five ranked teams, with Virginia Tech garnering the most points at No. 7.

Michigan was the highest ranked of four Big Ten teams at No. 4. Iowa is ranked No. 10.

Preseason voters gave a solid nod to defending national champion USC for the top spot in the country. The Trojans garnered 60 of the 62 first-place votes. Texas was the only other team to receive first-place votes.

Nebraska, coming off a 5-6 campaign in 2004, is among 34 teams receiving votes outside the top 25.

Link

doc42f2f22748b4f642521571.jpg

Chemistry key at Camp Callahan

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Nebraska head football coach Bill Callahan gives instruction to offensive linemen Kurt Mann (left) and Mike Huff (right) Thursday as the Huskers began their workouts on the first day of their 2005 fall training camp. (William Lauer)

If good cheer counts for something in football, Nebraska evidently is off to a swift start in its attempt to rebound from last season's struggle and strife.

Junior center Kurt Mann said the Huskers' vaunted group of newcomers have meshed better with veterans than any group of incoming players since he arrived on campus in 2002.

Mann recalls feeling like "an outsider" as a freshman.

"I think a lot of older guys have taken as many steps as they possibly can this summer to make sure young guys feel they're a part of the team," he said.

Nebraska, 5-6 last season, opened preseason camp Thursday hoping, among other things, to improve overall team chemistry. The challenge involves integrating 29 scholarship newcomers — several of whom figure to play prominent roles this season — with returning players.

So far, so good. Husker coach Bill Callahan praised his team's spirit and energy Thursday. At least one player overflowed with enough mirth that he offered a bold prediction.

"I'll just say this: In the regular season, I don't see anybody stopping us," said outside linebacker Steve Octavien, one of five juniorcollege transfers who practiced with NU during the spring. "We just have to keep our composure."

Composure. Confidence. Chemistry.

The third of those crucial ‘C' words has been an area of emphasis since last season, Callahan said. He said orientation exercises Nebraska applied during preseason camp a year ago were instead used during June and July this year.

"We made our newcomers feel welcomed and relaxed, and made sure they could integrate into the team and feel comfortable socially," Callahan said.

There was a paintball outing and a barbecue at the head coach's house.

Mann, one of three returning starters in the offensive line, said he made it a point to approach newcomers and ask how they were doing.

"I think I'm like a lot of guys — I'm not going to talk unless you talk to me," he said.

Callahan, starting his second season in charge at Nebraska, said it's largely up to players to ensure team chemistry is sound.

"I don't think as a head coach you can manufacture chemistry," he said. "When you force things upon guys, when you force players to get together, it's artificial. You have to let leadership take its course."

Quarterback Zac Taylor, who ended spring practice atop the depth chart, drew praise from teammates for his leadership this summer. He was quick to answer questions about the offense. He organized 7-on-7 drills. In short, he helped develop team chemistry.

Taylor, a junior-college transfer, said he made it a point to become more of a vocal leader in summer drills. During the spring, he said, he "took a back seat" as he learned the offense and developed rapport with his teammates.

"I think now I know what I'm doing, so I can speak out a little bit more," Taylor said.

Callahan reiterated that the race for the starting quarterback job is "wide-open," though Taylor retains the upper hand based on his overall experience and his performance during spring. Among those pushing Taylor is freshman Harrison Beck, rated last season as the nation's No. 3 high school pro-style QB by Rivals.com.

"You can't become complacent," Taylor said. "I just have to keep working hard."

Beck is just one of a slew of newcomers expected to contribute this season. Octavien said several of the new players caught his eye during summer workouts. He specifically mentioned running backs Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn, linebacker Nick Covey, wide receiver Frantz Hardy and cornerback Zack Bowman.

Of Bowman, Octavien said, "He'll bait quarterbacks and make two or three interceptions every time we play 7-on-7."

Yes, it's August, and hope springs eternal in preseason camps throughout the nation.

Callahan hopes the positive vibe he felt Thursday is still around in November.

On Day One of Camp Callahan, he saw players communicating and working well together.

Perhaps those orientation exercises worked. Maybe the players really did enjoy that cookout at the head coach's house.

Did Callahan flip the burgers?

"I think we had someone come in and do it," Taylor said, smiling.

Learning the Husker verbiage

Junior QB Taylor trying to master Callahan's complex language

By Mike Babcock

For The Independent

LINCOLN-- ­ Verbiage became a buzzword during Bill Callahan's first season as Nebraska's head football coach. Players had to learn the verbiage of his system, and that was no small task.

After the first practice of fall camp, junior quarterback Zac Taylor provided reporters with an example of such verbiage: "Strong right, F short, spider 2, wide banana, Z over."

That sequence has meaning for Taylor and his teammates on offense.

And it must be understood quickly, in the time it takes to break the huddle and get to the line of scrimmage

"There are a couple (others) that are as complex as that," said Taylor.

It's easy to understand why he "got a little tongue twisted on some plays" during practice, why "I've still got a lot of learning to do," he said. "And we haven't even put in the whole thing yet.

"I think each day we'll all get more comfortable with it. It's pretty tough."

Comfort is relative, of course. But Taylor's comfort level was bolstered during the spring ­ his first as a Cornhusker ­ when he climbed to the top of the depth chart. And it was bolstered by his performance in the Red-White game, passing for 357 yards and three touchdowns in the first half.

But that was nearly four months ago. Plus, Callahan didn't post a pre-camp depth chart.

Where players finished in the spring doesn't matter now. "It's wide open," said Callahan. "The roster is wide open. The depth chart at each position is wide open, and players have to earn their spots through competition and repetition and everything that we are going to go through this fall."

That's fine with Taylor, the transfer from Wake Forest by way of Butler County (Kan.) Community College. "It keeps us all motivated when you know you're not the for-sure guy," he said.

"Really, I think any of the five of us right now, we're not even thinking about that. We're just trying to improve every day, and whoever starts against Maine will be the best guy."

The others, alphabetically, are Jordan Adams, Harrison Beck, Beau Davis and Joe Ganz. Adams and Davis are sophomores. Beck is a true freshman. And Ganz is a redshirted freshman.

Lack of a depth chart didn't preclude speculation about which of those four has the best chance to unseat Taylor. A reporter asked how "the freshman quarterback" handled the first day.

Freshmen are off-limits to the media until next week, and Beck isn't scheduled for an interview untilafter Tuesday's practice. "He did a great job, actually," said Taylor. "He did a lot better than I did my first day in the springtime, I'd have to say. You can tell he'll get better with each practice."

But Taylor will continue to improve, too, and he has the advantage of the spring. He showed good retention in practice, according to Callahan, "got the team in and out of the huddle."

Taylor met with him several times during the summer and "communicated to me essentially what we were trying to get accomplished out on the field," Callahan said. "He feels very good about the offense. He can take the offense and transmit to the field, enlist everybody out there and get them going."

Enlisting could become a buzzword on the team this fall. It is something that Taylor must do by virtue of his position, and something on which he focused during the summer.

"Kind of one of the things I wanted to do was to take more of a leadership role, and as Coach (Jay) Norvell says, kind of enlist all the players on the team," said Taylor. "I'm starting to get a feel that maybe that's going all right. There are some things I set up to do and I think I'm on pace."

He's not complacent, however. "I'm not where I want to be yet," he said.

In the spring, his focus was on learning the playbook and he wasn't as vocal as he is now. In his own words, he was "pretty silent throughout practice." But not so now.

"I know what I'm doing so I can speak out a little bit more," he said.

Depth chart or not, he's the frontrunner at this point.

After the first practice, an overly enthusiastic television reporter asked center Kurt Mann how "Jordan Adams" had done under center. Mann was confused. "Jordan Adams?"

The reporter apologized. "Uh, 13," he said, referring to Taylor's jersey number.

"He's come a long way since he first got here, and I think he's going to make a lot more improvement, especially in fall camp," Mann replied.

Link