chili recipies

garn

We all have them, here's mine:

2 lbs hamburger

tomato juice (you could subsititue it with Bloody Mary mix)

2 cans chilli beans

2 cans diced tomatoes with green chillies (I use mild, could use hotter green chillies)

2 cans diced tomatoes with onions and green peppers

1 can corn (drained and optional)

1 package hidden valley ranch dip mix

1 package taco mix

tobassco sauce (I just wing it here)

fry up the 'burger in a pot, add the the other ingreidents, and let simmer on low for as long as you'd like..

Optional toppings:

shreeded cheese

sour cream

My wife and kid won't eat, so it makes several days worth of lunch for work and if you want to go old school and have a classic school lunch, I guess you could bake some cinamonn rolls.

I LOVE chili....but I make mine different every single time. I should really write out the recipe every time for when it comes out perfect. But here's the gist of it:

2lbs. of ground beef (as fatty as you can get it...don't use the lean stuff. Sometimes the grocery store has chili meat or stew meat and I use that)

1 can of chili beans

1 can of rotel

2-3 cloves of garlic pressed/crushed

8oz can of tomato paste

1 green pepper diced

1 medium onion diced

tabasco sauce (I prefer the chipotle flavored)

BBQ sauce to taste

lots of spices (see below)

olive oil

Begin browning the beef in a skillet and add about 1/4 cup of chili seasoning (any kind you want). Browning the meat with the seasoning helps sear in the flavor.

In your chili pot add some olive oil to the bottom of the pot and heat it. When it's hot enough add the pressed garlic and diced onions. Stir and cook those until the onions are translucent.

Add the beef, beans (undrained), rotel, tomato paste and green pepper.

Add BBQ sauce (your choice) to taste. Know the falvor of the BBQ sauce. If it's a sweeter kind, the more you add, the sweeter the chili will turn out. A little bit goes a long way.

Add tabasco sauce to taste.

You may need to add some more water to the pot so that the entire mixture is covered. Probably just another can/can and a half of water should work.

Now the spices. This is where I just do it by smell....and depending on what I have on hand. Chili seasoning and chili powder are the most important, obviously. I dump probably a half cup of chili seasoning at least to get started. Then add chili powder to spice it up. Others I add:

onion powder

garlic powder (I LOVE garlic...can't have too much of it)

mustard powder

pepper

I also have a rub mixture I made a long time ago when I smoked a brisket. Any good dry BBQ rub recipe works great with chili too.

Still well and bring to a boil. As it starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour (minimum of a half-hour). Add more chili powder as needed. I put my nose over the pot as it cooks to find that right amount of chili powder smell, lol it's hard to explain.

Refrigerate the left overs...they'll taste even better the next day once the flavors have a chance to site and congeal.