Nebraska vs Texas experience

seegreen17

I know there was a second left but this was my reaction of the last minute fourty four of the game.

When Alex Henery lined up for the field goal I was extremely nervous. It would just be a heartbreaker to lose a game on a missed or blocked kick. I was sitting with my dad, uncle, aunt, and cousin and we were eye level to the wide big screen opposite the texas side. When I saw the kick go up I knew he had it and I thought we would probably win because this had the makings of the colorado game from last year. I also had a similar feeling I had during the entire virginia tech game. I was also at the virginia tech game in blacksburg. But after Henery made the kick to put us up 12-10 against Texas I looked and I saw tears in my dads eyes. These were obviously tears of joy. But it went from winning the game to losing the game.

I had the losing feeling right after Adi kicked the ball out of bounds. Then when Asante tackled Shipyley with the horse collar it almost seemed like our fate was sealed, but you always are confident we may block a kick with how many we blocked this year. So when we tackled McCoy for two short losses I thought that this would make the kick more stressful for their kicker. But then the clock started ticking down when McCoy rolled to his right...and I was watching the clock on the big screen, 5...4...3....McCoy throws the ball away...2....1...the ball hits the ground...0. I started jumping up and down chanting were number one and I jumped into my dad's arms...and he said what happened. I told him the clock hit zero and I saw the Nebraska players run on the field like we won the national championship. I felt after driving for 10 hours from Columbus, Nebraska leaving at 11PM friday night, that it all seemed entirely worth it, but going to away/bowl games is always worth it anyway. But then I knew there might be a second left, and they reviewed it. But it seemed like the review took so short that they said the game would be over. But we all know what happened.

Then when Texas lined up for the field goal, I just said if there is a God in the world to please let us block this kick. When the kick got up I looked to the Texas fans behind the goal post and they didn't seem to really celebrate while the ball was heading towards the goal posts. Then the entire stadium erupted and all I could do was sit down put my face in my hands, and try to cry, but I couldn't. Then my dad said let's go and I saw one tear roll down his right cheek, that may have symbolized that one second that changed so many of our outlook on this football program. I am 16 years old.