http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extr...idering_nu.html

sorry if this was posted

Owa still considering NU

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on January 5, 2010 at 5:16PM CST

When you talk about recruits who could provide a big late splash to a program's recruiting class, Owamagbe Odighizuwa (Owa to most of us) certainly falls in that line.

Two weeks ago Owa had taken Nebraska off his short list. But it seems there's been a change of heart, as he told reporters at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

"I've been thinking maybe I need to give (Nebraska) more of a look," the 6-foot-4, 240-pound defensive end told Scout.com. "Get my mom (around) Bo Pelini and see what they have to offer. It's a great school, great defense. Bo Pelini and the staff really know how to coach the D. Their offense is very young. They're all coming back. They're going to be a good team so I'm just trying to look at things smartly and not miss out as an opportunity."

Owa is given five stars by Rivals.com and four by Scout. Rivals ranks him second nationally among defensive ends and the 20th best player overall. Scout ranks him 14th at his position.

What also makes Husker imaginations run wild is the fact that Owa comes from Portland -- the same town that produced Ndamukong Suh.

"If I end up going there (to Nebraska), that would be another factor in it," Owa told Scout when asked about Suh. "Somebody from my home city being a No. 1 overall pick, and knowing that that coaching staff did that with him."

Still on the table with Nebraska are four Pac-10 schools: Oregon, Oregon State, USC and UCLA. Owa has said he probably won't make a decision until signing day.

Perhaps to some benefit of Nebraska, the Huskers have one commitment down there playing in the all-star game -- Aurora offensive lineman Andrew Rodriguez -- who has forged a bit of a friendship with Owa.

"We've been talking. He's a real cool kid," Rodriguez told the Journal Star Tuesday. "What I told him is you'd be stupid not to go to Nebraska with the fans that we have, just that defense and all that stuff. But it's not all about just football. He has to think about his family and all that stuff there. He has a lot of things to look into."

You can see both Owa and Rodriguez play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl at noon Saturday on NBC.