Practice 8/15

Took in practice. I was there for most of it.

Some observations:

*On a whole, the offense performed fair at best. The defense really played well on pass coverage. The offense seemed out of sync, tired and flat. This isn't that unusual for the offense to go threw these funks in the preseason. Heck, that's why were playing Maine the first game of the year. Taylor even had his share of struggles today. The team went threw three passing team drill: a pass skeleton, red zone offense and regular team. He was at best 50% and the rest were lower percentages.

*Again Ross and Octavian had yellow jerseys today and McKewon wore jis first.

*Ganz looked as though he was the #2 nowadays. He took more snaps than the other backups. The staff has done this quite a bit. They'll put one of the QB's a backup for a couple days, whether they have earned it or not, just to get him a few more reps. Beck like the others struggled a little, but he is only a freshman. The game hasn't slowed down nearly enough. He threw a few picks and hesitated a bit on his reads, thus throwing incomplete passes. Davis and Adams received few reps.

*Dillard ran with the number 2's for most of the practices and was calling plays in the huddle. More responsibility, possibly more PT.

*Bowman looked as though he tweeked a knee, but didn't look serious.

*Congdon has a nice leg, but Dyhes appears to have more distance on kickoffs anyway, not field goal kicking.

Leon Jackson did practice with the DB's, but saw limited reps as you would think.

*Elamasian is the most animated and colorful coach as far as language goes. It's not so much that he curses none stop, but rather it's not a "dig pattern", but rathert a "god damn friggin' dig pattern."

*They've been through quite a bit of practices and it's showing. They need to pull through it.

ETR...GO BIG RED

so ETR, is this indicative of a lack of conditioning, maybe? or , i hate the term normal, is this really normal and in what sense? i know 2 a days are tough, but would hope there would still be crispness at this point, especially with 18-19 days of practice to go yet......more thoughts??

hunter

so ETR, is this indicative of a lack of conditioning, maybe? or , i hate the term normal, is this really normal and in what sense? i know 2 a days are tough, but would hope there would still be crispness at this point, especially with 18-19 days of practice to go yet......more thoughts??

hunter

I have to use the word normal, but that's all I can think of, because every team goes through it every year. No matter how much you condition in the offseason, you simple cannot simulate a pratice in the heat in pads.

ok, thanks for the explanation......anyone catch your eye, yours, that maybe an over achiever at this point?

hunter

Barry Turner did some nice things. He is probably one of the quicker guys on the Dline. He's a lot leaner than I had thought. Pretty cut up. He might get some time, Tomerlin hasn't showed much yet.

*Again Ross and Octavian had yellow jerseys today and McKewon wore his first.

IS anyone else getting worried that no one is stepping up??

I don't think this should be a concern at all. Ross was our best player last year and it's awesome that he keeps getting that yellow jersey. Shows the rest of the players that even thought he probably knows he's easily #1 on the chart, he's gonna bust his ass harder than anybody else and keep that #1 spot. Octavien is in one of the tightest battles on the team, and that shows me he wants to be #1 very bad.

This yellow jersey deal is definitely good message board material! :thumbs

I wouldn't worry about the team being tired and struggling. Every team goes through this.. You think USC, Miami, OU and all the other top teams out there are practicing like well oiled machines?? Heck no..

It's going to take some time but this team will be ok..

Exactly..I agree. I't;s just the daily grind that gets placed on the players.