A little help from anyone who goes to or went to Nebraska

Hey first off this is my first post and topic, but i have been watching this website continuously for about a month now(especially the Owa thread) but i have a question for anyone that currently goes to or went to Nebraska. I am currently a high school student and wondering if anyone could answer this question, what is the graduation requirements for a foreign language? I currently am taking my third year of Spanish and am considering taking a fourth but the teacher is terrible and i really dont want to take his class so. Is 3 years of Spanish enough for the graduation requirements? And do i have to take a test or anything to see if i am proficient enough? yea i know i should probably talk to my councilor or something but i thought coming here would maybe solve my problem a little bit sooner. Thanks.

dont know for sure, but 4 yrs of HS=completion and no spanish classes need to be taken. If you take 3 yrs you can take a proficiency test. I took 3 yrs in HS and had to start over in college. in my 4th semester and i hate it. I would suggest taking 4 yrs and get it done with.

This.

Get it done in high school. I know it seems like it sucks now . . . but the high school spanish classes are easier than the college spanish classes. (At least in my experience.)

I also believe 4 years is correct for many degrees.

Definitely get that requirement done in high school (though you will almost certainly find you'll actually learn/retain more with college courses). And definitely go speak with your counselor no matter what answers you get here. The reason being that UNL, like all other universities, has an incredibly complex set of rules and regulations. They seem designed to make your head spin. You can find the answers you're looking for on UNL's website also, but even then I would still advise you to speak with your counselor. They get paid to figure stuff like that out.

Hey first off this is my first post and topic, but i have been watching this website continuously for about a month now(especially the Owa thread) but i have a question for anyone that currently goes to or went to Nebraska. I am currently a high school student and wondering if anyone could answer this question, what is the graduation requirements for a foreign language? I currently am taking my third year of Spanish and am considering taking a fourth but the teacher is terrible and i really dont want to take his class so. Is 3 years of Spanish enough for the graduation requirements? And do i have to take a test or anything to see if i am proficient enough? yea i know i should probably talk to my councilor or something but i thought coming here would maybe solve my problem a little bit sooner. Thanks.

Dude just go to the UNL website. UNL is one of the easiest schools to get into. If you can spell your name backwords your in.

http://admissions.unl.edu/requirements/freshman.aspx

Freshman Admission Requirements

Incoming freshmen students must have completed a core of selected high school courses as well as specific performance criteria listed below. If you graduated high school before 1997 visit the pre-1997 graduation admission requirements section.

Core Courses

There are 16 units of required academic courses required for admission. A unit is described as a Carnegie unit—one year of high school study or a semester or quarter of college coursework.

Category

Units

Requirements

English

All units must include intensive reading and writing experiences.

Mathematics

Algebra, algebra II and geometry are required for students seeking admission, and one additional unit that builds on a knowledge of algebra.

Social Sciences

One unit drawn from American and/or world history; one additional unit drawn from history, American government and/or geography; and a third unit drawn from any social science discipline.

Natural Sciences

At least two units selected from biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences. One of the above units must include laboratory instruction.

Foreign Language

Both units must be in the same language. Students who are unable to take two years of foreign language in high school may still qualify for admission.

* Click for more information on foreign language requirements in various UNL degree programs.

See which Nebraska High School classes count toward these core course requirements, or find information on removing core course deficiencies.

Performance Requirements

In addition to meeting the above core course requirements, traditional freshmen students seeking admission to the University should:

be ranked in the upper one-half of their high school class, OR

have received an ACT composite score of 20 or higher*, OR

have received a SAT total score (Critical Reading and Math only) of 950 or higher*.

*Freshman applicants under 23 years of age are required to submit an ACT or SAT score. Our ACT code is 2482. Our SAT code is 6877.

For more information on sending ACT scores, visit http://www.act/org/aap/scores.

For more information on sending SAT scores, visit http://www.collegeboard.com.

College Specific Requirements

All the colleges at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln require students to meet the minimum core course and performance admission requirements listed above. Some colleges have additional prerequisites that students must meet before they can be admitted into that college. If you are not admitted into the college you request on your application for admission, it is because you have not met the prerequisites listed below for the college you indicated.

If you are admitted to the Division of General Studies instead of the college you indicated on your application, you will be advised by General Studies until you meet these requirements. At that time, you will have the opportunity to transfer into the college you have requested.

Please note: Some University of Nebraska–Lincoln degree programs require the equivalent of four years of H.S. foreign language in the same language in order to graduate. Click to view a list.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions.

Except he's not asking what the requirement for admission is, but the requirement for graduation. While the info is on the website, it's still a good idea to get used to the idea of getting to know your advisor. No better place to start than your high school counselor. You really don't want to be one of those students who bravely forges ahead through 3 years of college scheduling only to find you didn't do it quite right...and get to stay for 5 years instead of your planned 4. And believe me, there are a LOT of those students.