Conceal carry laws?

kozzman555

I live in GA, where a military ID acts as a conceal carry permit. However, I plan on getting an actual GA conceal carry permit so i can carry in other states. When i get back from my deployment, I plan on taking my Glock 23 to NE. Does anyone know if a GA conceal carry license carry over to NE? I know most states accept other states' permits, but I just want to be sure if a GA one is good in NE. Can anyone help?

I live in GA, where a military ID acts as a conceal carry permit. However, I plan on getting an actual GA conceal carry permit so i can carry in other states. When i get back from my deployment, I plan on taking my Glock 23 to NE. Does anyone know if a GA conceal carry license carry over to NE? I know most states accept other states' permits, but I just want to be sure if a GA one is good in NE. Can anyone help?

I'll ask my dad. he has a conceal carry in NE, so he might know.

§Will my permit issued by another state be honored in Nebraska?

As of August 30, 2009, Nebraska will recognize CCW permits issued by those states on the below list which the Nebraska Attorney General has determined have standards equal to or greater than Nebraska. This recognition extends ONLY to persons who are NOT residents of Nebraska. This change in the law allows non-resident permit holders from the approved states to carry concealed in Nebraska the same as if they held a Nebraska permit. The list made no distinction between resident and non-resident permits from the listed states. No registration or issuance of a Nebraska permit is necessary. The same limits and restrictions apply that currently apply to Nebraska permit holders. You can review the regulations (which are in the process of being updated due to recent changes in the law) on the Nebraska State Patrol website. At this time there are no reciprocity agreements to recognize the Nebraska permit in other states although some states are currently recognizing the Nebraska permit voluntarily.

A list of the states determined by the Nebraska Attorney General to have standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska Statue is below. These states CCW permits Will Be recognized by the State of Nebraska.

Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota (class one permit), Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode-Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming and the District of Columbia.

The following states have standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska's statue, but only to the extent the permit holder in that state is twenty-one (21) years of age or older.

California, Iowa, Maine, Montana, North Dakota (class 2 permit) and Texas

The following states at this time DO NOT have standards that are equal or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska's statue and WILL NOT be recognized by Nebraska.

Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Washington.

Finally, neither Illinois, nor Wisconsin allows the carrying of concealed handguns within their states. The state of Vermont does allow the carrying of concealed firearms within its border; but, it does not require a permit to do so. As a result, there is no permit to recognize.

Permits held by retired law enforcement officers as provided by HR218 will continued to be honored. For individuals from those states NOT recognized by the State of Nebraska, we do not object to persons bringing their weapons into the State of Nebraska while traveling through our state. We do, however ask that people transport their weapons, unloaded, encased, and inaccessible from all passengers in the vehicle.

http://www.nsp.state.ne.us/findfile.asp?id2=256

§Will my permit issued by another state be honored in Nebraska?

As of August 30, 2009, Nebraska will recognize CCW permits issued by those states on the below list which the Nebraska Attorney General has determined have standards equal to or greater than Nebraska. This recognition extends ONLY to persons who are NOT residents of Nebraska. This change in the law allows non-resident permit holders from the approved states to carry concealed in Nebraska the same as if they held a Nebraska permit. The list made no distinction between resident and non-resident permits from the listed states. No registration or issuance of a Nebraska permit is necessary. The same limits and restrictions apply that currently apply to Nebraska permit holders. You can review the regulations (which are in the process of being updated due to recent changes in the law) on the Nebraska State Patrol website. At this time there are no reciprocity agreements to recognize the Nebraska permit in other states although some states are currently recognizing the Nebraska permit voluntarily.

A list of the states determined by the Nebraska Attorney General to have standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska Statue is below. These states CCW permits Will Be recognized by the State of Nebraska.

Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota (class one permit), Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode-Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming and the District of Columbia.

The following states have standards equal to or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska's statue, but only to the extent the permit holder in that state is twenty-one (21) years of age or older.

California, Iowa, Maine, Montana, North Dakota (class 2 permit) and Texas

The following states at this time DO NOT have standards that are equal or greater than the standards contained in Nebraska's statue and WILL NOT be recognized by Nebraska.

Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Washington.

Finally, neither Illinois, nor Wisconsin allows the carrying of concealed handguns within their states. The state of Vermont does allow the carrying of concealed firearms within its border; but, it does not require a permit to do so. As a result, there is no permit to recognize.

Permits held by retired law enforcement officers as provided by HR218 will continued to be honored. For individuals from those states NOT recognized by the State of Nebraska, we do not object to persons bringing their weapons into the State of Nebraska while traveling through our state. We do, however ask that people transport their weapons, unloaded, encased, and inaccessible from all passengers in the vehicle.

http://www.nsp.state...ile.asp?id2=256

Vince has the current legislation for reciprocity as of now. I see more states being added as the licensing process gets more uniformed. Also, it didn't hurt that Ernie Chambers was retired by term limits a year ago, so sane legislators can have a serious, honest debate on the issue.

I have a Nebraska CCW permit, and Military status has no bearing here in Nebraska, because they treat everything the same here...no exemptions.

§Are there exemptions in the permit requirements for law enforcement officers or military members? No. Some states do have exceptions in their concealed handgun laws which exempt law enforcement officers or other persons from the some of the requirements for obtaining a permit. Nebraska statutes treat all persons the same and do not contain exceptions to the permit or training requirements for law enforcement officers, military members, or any other class of persons wishing to obtain a permit.

Not entirely screwed. I have a S.C. CWP and Ga. or Fla. doesnt recipocate with S.C... Why they dont is just stupid but I got a non-resident license from the state of New Hampshire for 20 bucks and it allows me to carry in 15 more states. You have to get your Ga. permit first then google search NH non-resident CWP for the form and just send a copy of your Ga. CWP if Ga. allows that. It is just crazy that all states dont reconize each others permit. I carry a Glock 23 also and sometimes a XD compact .40

this is the reply I got from my dad...basically the same:

I found another site www.handgunlaw.us check it out. According to the map Nebraska does not honor Georgia ccw permits. It also has a FAQ and who to contact. I would contact the Attorney General of the Secretary of State for the latest information. The Nebraska permit is issued by the Nebraska State Patrol. Sorry I can't be of more help. I took the class a couple of years ago and a bunch of information has changed since then. I know that there has to be class time on laws and there has to be live fire as part of the class. Robert may know more current than I do since he travels quite a bit yet. He is leaving for Florida early tomorrow morning. I will continue to look for good information for you.

mm0

this is the reply I got from my dad...basically the same:

I found another site www.handgunlaw.us check it out. According to the map Nebraska does not honor Georgia ccw permits. It also has a FAQ and who to contact. I would contact the Attorney General of the Secretary of State for the latest information. The Nebraska permit is issued by the Nebraska State Patrol. Sorry I can't be of more help. I took the class a couple of years ago and a bunch of information has changed since then. I know that there has to be class time on laws and there has to be live fire as part of the class. Robert may know more current than I do since he travels quite a bit yet. He is leaving for Florida early tomorrow morning. I will continue to look for good information for you.

mm0

Thanks again for the help guys. I sent them an email seeing if there was a way to "bend" the rules or something, due to my unique military training lol. hopefully ill hear back from them soon. I'm still a NE resident, but applying for a permit can take around 2weeks and that's all I'll be in town for.