Thenarse gets extra year

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/thenarse_receives_extra_year.html

Thenarse receives extra year

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on February 18, 2010 at 5:27PM CST

I spoke with Rickey Thenarse today and the safety said he was told last Thursday that he's been granted another season as a Husker.

This was what he and coaches expected, but now Thenarse has received official word.

Thenarse tore the ACL in his right leg during the first quarter of the Louisiana-Lafayette game last season and didn't know if he'd ever get to play for Nebraska again.

"For a second I thought that it'd be over, but I really didn't get to play that much in those first three games," Thenarse said. "I knew I had a pretty good shot at getting a year back. It was another one of those deals in my life where I said, 'It had to be God that made this happen.'"

The senior feels like he's at 90 percent and is confident he'll be able to compete in spring ball. He said he's back to doing everything but competing in 7-on-7 drills.

"Those guys are competing at a high level right now and they don't want to put that kind of pressure on my knee," Thenarse said of sitting out 7-on7s.

Lot more on Thenarse in a story for Friday's paper.

I see him playing a lot on special teams, but doubt he breaks the starting lineup on defense. He's great for kickoff and punt teams because he's fearless.