Nebraska Bowlers win Morgan St. Invitational

Huskers Take First at Morgan St.

IFFFSVVLURNMEGW.20090522145548.jpg

Zoom.gif Courtesy: Scott Bruhn/NU Media Relations

Cassandra Leuthold earned her third first-place title of the season at the Morgan State Invite. The Nebraska bowling team captured its second-consecutive tournament crown on Sunday, Feb. 21, as it topped the three-day Morgan State Invitational in Baltimore, Md. The Huskers narrowly edged Maryland-Eastern Shore for the crown, 6962-6915. Fairleigh Dickinson placed third with a pinfall of 6881, while St. Francis (6799) and Delaware State (6662) placed fourth and fifth, respectively.

Nebraska senior Cassandra Leuthold earned her third first-place finish and sixth top-10 finish of the season at the Morgan State Invite. Her 218 average led her to top the all-tournament team standings. Sophomore Valerie Calberry was the only other Husker to place in the standings, as she rolled a 188 average for 11th place.

The team will hit the lanes again next weekend for the Holiday Classic in Birmingham, Ala., on Feb. 27-28. The Huskers have two competitions left before NCAA Tournament bids begin.

Lol not to be rude, don't know what the women are doing right now but.....

Amanda "Burgoyne" (Vermileya now), Lindsay Baker, Sarah Koch, and Adrienne Miller are no longer even at the University.. I don't know for sure where you found this, but it's a few years old. Cassie is the only one of those who is still on the team.

I got it off the NCAA Womens Bowling site. Talk about egg on face. :facepalm:

I have re-posted the right story, and thanks for pointing that out. Next time I need to proof read instead of getting in a hurry.

It's all good.. I ended up googling the tournament and found that old story as like the 2nd link for whatever reason. Only knew that info cuz I know quite a bit about the team. After Cassie is gone this team is screwed. Straub does nothing but run kids away from the program. 2nd best girl on the team is now bowling at Vandy after sitting out last year because she couldn't stand Straub and Klempa. 2 other girls left, 1 for sure because of academic reasons, the other was a little mix of both I believe.

It's all good.. I ended up googling the tournament and found that old story as like the 2nd link for whatever reason. Only knew that info cuz I know quite a bit about the team. After Cassie is gone this team is screwed. Straub does nothing but run kids away from the program. 2nd best girl on the team is now bowling at Vandy after sitting out last year because she couldn't stand Straub and Klempa. 2 other girls left, 1 for sure because of academic reasons, the other was a little mix of both I believe.

I know Bill and Paul really well. Bill can be a hard ass at times, but he is a good coach. Rhoades didn't want to sit out her first year and she got frustrated. The girls team was loaded full of talent, and there really wasn't a place for her to fill, so she moved on. It happens in every program.

The Mickelson girl from Bellevue, and van der Meir from the Netherlands will be the next stars for them. They are really good.

I know Bill and Paul really well. Bill can be a hard ass at times, but he is a good coach. Rhoades didn't want to sit out her first year and she got frustrated. The girls team was loaded full of talent, and there really wasn't a place for her to fill, so she moved on. It happens in every program.

The Mickelson girl from Bellevue, and van der Meir from the Netherlands will be the next stars for them. They are really good.

Disagree on Kayla. She is a helluva talent and would easily fit in well on this team, and would of easily last year. She came up here and ran circles around us in November. Neither of those 2 will ever live up to be as good as Cassie. Or Shannon, Adrienne, Lindsay, Amanda or any of the girls that have led this program through the years.

I understand Bill is a great coach. No doubt about that. I know multiple people that have bowled for him in the past, including my dad. However, he is too stuck in his ways, and I've heard Klempa is even worse. They also both are too stubborn to change. As a coach, the game is evolving right now, much more so than beyond the basic ball/lane elements like it has in the past. Straub seems to be too much about coaching his single way as opposed to coaching the athlete.

Good to talk about this though. Crazy to think someone else out there actually knows something about the bowling team or bowling in general.