Selecting the Perfect Orange

A couple of weeks ago I got fed up with the oranges I was getting from the store. Way too many dry ones - you know the type. So I got online and started reading about produce selection - especially citrus fruits. Turns out there is a pretty simple way to find those oranges, lemons, and limes that are ripe and juicy inside.

Rules:

1. Check the weight of the fruit. Fruit with the most weight, has the most liquid inside. So heavy ones will taste the most moist. This should be common sense I guess, but I needed to be told. Grab a similar sized fruit in each hand and compare. Repeat until you have the heaviest ones.
  2. Ignore color (other than bruising/disease/etc). In oranges, many people will avoid the oranges with any trace of green. This is a mistake. They might look different, and the peel might be more bitter, but the taste the exact same inside regardless.
  3. Push on the peel. The thicker the peel, generally the drier the fruit. Apparently the fruit, as it begins to conserve more moisture, will thicken and strengthen its walls to conserve moisture. This will make the fruit more dry. You want the wall/peel to give when you press on it.

Thats all I got, but since I began following these rules, in 2 weeks and 10 oranges, I have not had a single dry one. There ya go! Yum!