Nebraska to play in 2011 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Classic?

Would be a 3 hr. drive for me but sounds to good to be true. I went to the one a few yrs. ago when Ala. beat the hell out of Clemson and had a blast, that weekend is also Dragoncon, as I found out by mistake , it is one of the biggest Sci-Fi freak feast in the world with bikini clad women galore. I also know where we want to stay with no driving, bars and reasturant area and walk to yhe game. Getting giddy but me thinks it wont happen.

As much as I would like to see the Huskers kick the crap out of Spurrier again, I dont see this happening. Like it was mentioned in the thread about playing LSU in 2011, we usually play a BCS team, a upper non bcs team, mid level non-bcs team and then a lower level non-bcs team. I just dont see us adding another BCS conference team especially in a year we are geting situated to a new Big 10 schedule.

Osborne used to use the Kickoff Classic and Coaches Classic as a stepping stone when he thought he had a team worthy of playing for a NC. P state in 83 and WV in 93 for example.

True but still only a couple of instances where we did do that, it didn't happen that often. I am sure it could happen because there are instances we do break away from the normal schedule but I dont think we will do it. With Washington being a BCS conf team and both Fresno state and wyoming made bowl games last year. I think we add a easy gimme type come to complete the OOC schedule. Just my opinion.

If you are talking about the Kickoff Classic - you could only do the game once every 7? years. NU was the most occuring team: they were in the first and every time they were eligible, they played again.

If you are talking about scheduling 2 tough regular season OOC games - continue on, sir.

The extra money would be nice..to help counter the innitial loss and probable payout to UT/OU/ATM for leaving their assses.

Seems like an awkward time though with having to get used to new conference brothers..and no definite idea what the conference schedule looks like.

Should be interesting.

Never understood the hate Nebraska fans have for Spurrier...... He never said a bad word about Nebraska before during or after the game. Is it because he wore a visor? :facepalm:

My brother won a trip to the Heisman back when Ron Dayne won the award. Sat at the table with Spurrier and his wife, and said the guy was quite nice.

Never understood the hate Nebraska fans have for Spurrier...... He never said a bad word about Nebraska before during or after the game. Is it because he wore a visor? :facepalm:

My brother won a trip to the Heisman back when Ron Dayne won the award. Sat at the table with Spurrier and his wife, and said the guy was quite nice.

I don't hate him, but I can see why people do. He does tend to attract the diva, prima donna stereotypes. And I think some people take offense to him chasing the money and going to the NFL when he had a good thing at Florida.

That would be awesome. I'd love to play Spurrier again...

Assuming he will still be there . . .

Touche, mein freund.

But surely one can't fire Steve Spurrier can they? And I certainly can't see him stepping down after yet another inevitably average season, but then again, something's gotta give I suppose.

As much as I would like to see the Huskers kick the crap out of Spurrier again, I dont see this happening. Like it was mentioned in the thread about playing LSU in 2011, we usually play a BCS team, a upper non bcs team, mid level non-bcs team and then a lower level non-bcs team. I just dont see us adding another BCS conference team especially in a year we are geting situated to a new Big 10 schedule.

Osborne used to use the Kickoff Classic and Coaches Classic as a stepping stone when he thought he had a team worthy of playing for a NC. P state in 83 and WV in 93 for example.

True but still only a couple of instances where we did do that, it didn't happen that often. I am sure it could happen because there are instances we do break away from the normal schedule but I dont think we will do it. With Washington being a BCS conf team and both Fresno state and wyoming made bowl games last year. I think we add a easy gimme type come to complete the OOC schedule. Just my opinion.

I dont see Nebraska agreeing to this game. We dont even know the BigTen schedule for next year yet. Plus the ooc schedule setup we have had the last few years is what the AD department wants. Play 1 BCS school, then some non BCS schools that somewhat competitive and are looking for a paycheck. Its not our fault UW has been way down the last few years. Fresno and Wyoming are both good schools that have been to bowls. Unless one of 3 schools backs out, I dont thinks theirs a way this game could happen.

While we are on the subject, whats with the national media fascination with South Carolina???? The old ball coach hasnt been exactly lighting it up down their. Seems like their games are always on Thursday Night or Saturday Night.

I dont see Nebraska agreeing to this game. We dont even know the BigTen schedule for next year yet. Plus the ooc schedule setup we have had the last few years is what the AD department wants. Play 1 BCS school, then some non BCS schools that somewhat competitive and are looking for a paycheck. Its not our fault UW has been way down the last few years. Fresno and Wyoming are both good schools that have been to bowls. Unless one of 3 schools backs out, I dont thinks theirs a way this game could happen.

While we are on the subject, whats with the national media fascination with South Carolina???? The old ball coach hasnt been exactly lighting it up down their. Seems like their games are always on Thursday Night or Saturday Night.

I don't think it's so much fascination as it is random selection. The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Classic has been exclusively an SEC vs ACC match-up since it started in 2008. Bama played in back-to-back years against Clemson and Virginia Tech ('08-'09) while the 2010 match-up will see LSU vs North Carolina. BTW, just went to that wikipedia page just now and they removed the Nebraska/South Carolina match-up.

We can't really commit to a game like this until we know what the Big Ten is going to do with scheduling. Like I've said before, if the Big Ten decides to play 8 conference games, then we could play in the Chick-fil-A game if we wanted to. But if it ends up being 9 conference games, then we're already set with the 3 OOC games already scheduled at the moment.

Until then, we'll just have to wait and see. But that $1.9 million would be nice to have considering the $$ we'll be losing out on when leaving the Big 12 this year.