PS3 version of the red ring of death

I got done playing NCAA 2011 and beat Texas 35-26. I left my PS3 on while I went outside to mow the lawn which takes roughly 45 minutes to an hour. Came in from my outside chore and didn't hear the music from the game coming from my surround sound. Turn the corner and the PS3 red light is blinking...hmmm I've never seen this before. I hit the power button and it turn green and then switched to a yellowish orange color as its flashing and then beeped. I unpluged the PS3 and tried it again and same thing. I googled this problem and I guess its a known problem that the only way of fixing it is to send it in but this is the first I've ever heard of this problem. I've had my 60gb since December 06' and I've never had a problem with my PS3. Looks like I gotta send it my PS3......f'ing A Cotton....f'ing A.

You can always request a free repair, though I'm not sure how much luck you will have being that your system is 4 years old. My PS3 crapped out on me two nights ago. I called tech support, and they were of little help besides telling me that I need to fill out an online service request form and pay them $150. I sent the following e-mail to customer service:

"I placed a technical support call regarding a red screen error that I received on my PS3 last night. I was disappointed that my only option was to pay $150 to get the system repaired. The factory warranty expired just over a month ago on 6/16/10. The error did not occur until I installed a required system update, and by all accounts the error is caused by a corrupted hard drive.

I have been a loyal Playstation customer since the PS1. I am requesting that you repair or replace my system free of charge."

I wasn't expecting much but thought it couldn't hurt to try. Here is the shocking reply:

"We apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing with the red screen. I received permission to do a one time gesture of goodwill to repair your PlayStation®3 system. We can offer to service the system with no charge for service or shipping under a one time Gesture of Good Will. We will send you a box by UPS so you can pack your system. It will include a prepaid shipping label addressed to our service facility, and documents with detailed instructions on how to pack and send us your system.

Turn-around time for our service is about 8 to 12 working days from the time we receive the system. The serviced system will come with a 90 day limited warranty that starts the day you receive your unit.

The service center reserves the right to repair, exchange with a factory certified system, or return your system to you according to their diagnosis."

My 40 gig PS3 died earlier this year while I was playing Modern Warfare 2. I did some research on the internet and found a potential fix for it on Youtube. Some guy named Gilksy opens up the PS3 and uses a heat gun to "reflow" the processors or something. It's way beyond me, but I didn't want to pay the $150 or whatever it is and wait for Sony to fix it so I gave it a try and the fix worked. I've since decided to sell my "reflowed" PS3 and purchase a new slim model with a smaller graphics processor which is supposed to cut down on the heat inside. I have no idea how long the fix will work, but I got through an online round of Modern Warfare 2 without it shutting down.

This does involve opening up your PS3 and voiding whatever warranty was on it. I don't know if Sony will fix it after it has been opened, so I'd do this at your own risk. If you do go through with this method, I'd recommend putting the PS3 in an open, cool area.

Here's the first video in the series:

Good luck!