Pit Beef

Homemade Pit Beef Recipe

1 Top Round Roast, 3-4 pounds

salt (not kosher, unless it’s fine-grain like Diamond), black pepper, garlic (optional)

1. Season the beef thoroughly, wrap with plastic, and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight

2. Over two rows of hot lump charcoal, grill the beef on one side for 15 minutes

3. Turn over and cook for another 15 minutes

4. Char any undercooked surfaces using tongs

NOTE: This pit beef recipe yields rare doneness for a 3-4 lb. piece of top round. Cook longer for a larger piece of beef or for more well done temperature. A whole top round weighing 15-20 lbs. should take about and hour and a half total on a flat-top grill for rare-medium rare. Use a probe thermometer to monitor doneness.

5. Allow the meat to rest for at least ten minutes before slicing

NOTE: When slicing, be sure to slice against the muscle grain

6. Serve on kaiser rolls for added “correctness”

I saw this on some show on Food TV about a year ago. I got to thinking about it over the summer and found this recipe. I would recommend letting it sit over night, a couple of hours really doesn't get the salt and rub into the center. Also I cook it over a coal starter, (at Hyvee for 20 bucks), use the grate from you kettle grill, I use lump coals and mix in some hard wood (hickory for me) to give a little smokiness and some live fire to help with the char. He also talks about needing a slicer, I would be nice, but as long as you have a nice serrated steak knife you should be fine. I served this at my WKU tail gate with raw onions and some mayo, people couldn't get enough... Anyway here is the link for more info.

Pitt Beef