Dad and I have been alltel since 97. Verizon has taken over and pretty much treated us like sh#t. Dad is in a tough time right now and in the hole about 250 with them and they do not help him out or cut him any breaks(Alltel was very kind about late payments). They charge him $60 every time they turn them on and off service. Well this time it looks like they are off for good. So I am going to go find my own plan for the first time.

I hate Verizon and will not do ANY business with them, I am just curious what kind of customer service/cell phone service you guys have had from other cell phone companies. I text more than I call: average around 1000 texts and 60 mins a month- looking for something around $40. I am leaning towards Cricket right now.

As far as I am concerned, Verizon has the best coverage and service. They have almost always treated me fairly, and their coverage is the best. Going to one of their stores is kindof a crap shoot, but from what I've heard from other people and their carriers, Verizon is just as good, if not better.

If you decided to go with Sprint, AT&T, or Cricket, well good luck.

I'm with Virgin Mobile (Sprint network)...they have a $25 per month prepaid plan that includes 300 minutes of talk, unlimited text, and unlimited data. If you buy a top-up card online you can avoid sales tax so the actual charge is really $25, there are no additional fees like with most contract plans. Customer service is meh, but I've only had to call them once. Data access on my phone is occasionally spotty but I don't use it all that much anyway.

I was on a Sprint contract plan for many years until I saw the light that prepaid is a cheaper option for most people.

My wife's phone costs us about $4 a month on PagePlus (Verizon network). She uses 80-100 talk minutes per month and doesn't text. PagePlus has a $29.99 prepaid plan that includes 1200 minutes of talk, 1200 texts, and 50MB data. You can avoid sales tax and all fees through this plan, it's a good choice if you like Verizon coverage.

I literally want nothing to do with Verizon. I don't care how big of a monopoly they have on the cell phone industry. I have had over 8 encounters of negative customer service with them. They will never have my business again.

Wow! that Sprint deal looks great! $25 bucks for everything I need, I am going to go for it! Thanks Husker Runner~

I literally want nothing to do with Verizon. I don't care how big of a monopoly they have on the cell phone industry. I have had over 8 encounters of negative customer service with them. They will never have my business again.

Wow! that Sprint deal looks great! $25 bucks for everything I need, I am going to go for it! Thanks Husker Runner~

One thing to note is that if you are wanting to port your old number, Virgin Mobile was really slow at it for a while (sometimes taking several days)...not sure if they've improved that by now or not. It wasn't an issue for me since I decided to just start with a new number, I didn't really care about porting my old number over.

Also, I bought the LG Rumor Touch which is a good phone with a nice keyboard but Virgin Mobile does lock it down quite a bit so you can't download third party apps except for Opera Mini. You can probably find it for less than $130. VM is also just now coming out with the Samsung Intercept on this plan which supposedly will be able to load more third party apps but also will be around $250.