So..Did I just get an American Strat for $70?

So..Did I just get an American Strat for $70?

I saw it in a used clothing store hidden among some Halloween stuff by the checkstands Monday..It looked like my Jap strat, but no "fender" on the headstock..no visible serial numbers..just one word "California" in script on the maple head with 22 frets, a couple of busted strings, and a very small bruise on the bottom horn? is that the right term?

Anyway, I googled Fender California and was directed towards "California Series" produced around 1997?

I did a quick ebay search tonight (~$500)and rushed out to the store and bought it.

looks a little like this: horisontal_standard_stratoc.jpg but with an Oklahoma Sooner (Crimson) Red color and missing the dark brown wood strip on the back of the maple neck.

I unscrewed the plain neck plate and the back cover..still no sign of a serial#

Other than color and the dark wood strip on the back of the neck, it looks almost identical to my other strat.

At this price, I thought it might be fun to make a new body out of some exotic wood (Like the mesquite tree I keep getting into catfights with in my front yard). or let my 9-yrold "customize" to match the drum set I got him last month.

So any ideas on what I have?