A Little Therapy

Hercules

This game sucked. Much more than many others. We wanted to win this game more than any other since 2001. Not only that, but most of us expected to win it, which just makes it more painful. Barring some sequence of events that gives us one final shot at the Longhorns in the CCG, Texas owned us in the Big 12 like we owned Kansas State in the Big 8. Not only did Nebraska lose, but it didn't live up to the words engraved on the southwest corner of Memorial Stadium: "Not the victory, but the action. Not the goal, but the game. In the deed, the glory." It was pathetic. Humiliating. Gut-wrenching. This afternoon and evening is the first time a loss has hurt so bad that I'm actually limiting the amount of post-game commentary I read, because I simply can't handle it. The first time I've asked myself, "what's the point of following this game and this team, when this is what keeps happening?"

However, for me, the answer to that is simple: Joy. I don't know how long it will be until Nebraska learns to bring their "A" game every week, home or away. I don't know how long it will be until Nebraska develops the determination and willpower of those legends we all remember so vividly. But someday, they'll regain their former glory. And when they do, all of the heartbreak and suffering of the past 12 years will vanish in a rush of joy, and it'll all be worth it.

This clip isn't Nebraska football. But it's why we keep coming back. One of the most joyous moments in the history of sports...

I guess the flip side is we finally feel that sting again. In the dark days of 2007 it was so bad, I was just numb. I expected to lose, now I hope to win. I too long for the day I expect to win. We all knew this was a 9-3 maybe 10-2 team, then we bought into our own BS about MNC etc. We have issues, big ones, but I think Bo can fix them. In the end its one loss, one painful loss. We can still go to the CCG and win this thing. I guess the part that really kills me is we will never get that chance to beat them again. People will always be able to point to UT and say that is why you left.....

I guess the flip side is we finally feel that sting again. In the dark days of 2007 it was so bad, I was just numb. I expected to lose, now I hope to win. I too long for the day I expect to win. We all knew this was a 9-3 maybe 10-2 team, then we bought into our own BS about MNC etc. We have issues, big ones, but I think Bo can fix them. In the end its one loss, one painful loss. We can still go to the CCG and win this thing. I guess the part that really kills me is we will never get that chance to beat them again. People will always be able to point to UT and say that is why you left.....

Yeah, I hate that we couldn't get UT in this last game. But even if we had won, they'd have said it was a down year, and UT was still the reason we went to the B10. Just like people still say we played Lawrence Phillips because we had to in order to win, and just like people still say we didn't deserve a share of the '97 national title.

Hopefully we'll get a shot UT sometime in the future, and hopefully we will have a team worthy of playing in that game.