Is there a quarterback controversy?

Husker_x

Taylor gives us the best chance to win. We're obviously not suited to be a passing team. I don't believe Zac is a better passer anyways. We need to get away from running that zone read even when it fails though.

yeah Martinez also deserves a chance to run the zone read under the same conditions as Lee. When Lee got in there Watson changed the scheme so every one was blocked rather letting one man run free. I believe Martinez would have better results and more room to recover from mistakes if that man is blocked.

If I recall correctly, in the zone read that man is always unblocked - that is the "read" part of the play - and he was still unblocked when Lee was in (although some have said Texas changed up their defense against Lee, I personally didn't see any big changes). It makes no sense that Watson would leave a guy unblocked against Martinez, but not against Lee when Martinez is the bigger running threat ie if that guy being blocked sprung Lee for 3-4 yards a pop, then it would likely spring Martinez for 6-10 if not more. In truth, what you saw was Lee making the correct read versus Martinez not making it.

And with Lee making perfect reads we get.....3 yds.

Which was 3 more yards than we were seeing from Martinez before he was pulled from the game. Looking past any and all other faults a guy has just because he can hit a home run every now and then is just plain stupid, especially given the other assets we have available on the team. As I said in another thread, a guy who gets on base most of the time is, in my opinion, a better pick than a guy that hits a homerun every now and then. At this point, as electrifying as Martinez can be, I'd willingly take Lee over him as a quarterback, even if he never gains another yard of offense on the ground again because I believe he currently has a better grasp on the offense and on reading defenses than Martinez does.

That said, I'm not calling for Lee to replace Martinez as quarterback at this point, but if Martinez continues to make bad reads and/or poor decisions he needs to be pulled until he understands the reasons why he's making them and corrects them.