The Spread?

Actually this is the offense that Bo wants.

Watson would probably be running a more multiple WCO-like pass attack, or like 2008 if that helps describe it. That year we were mostly considered a spread really. Given total freedom he would probably run a QB out there at QB. Just to say.

But this is Bo's thing and by all means it should be perfect for Nebraska fans. I would say the spread is so "2006" as far as being "the thing", and zone read is closer to being "the thing" thanks to teams like Michigan and Oregon.

Bo is 100% not going to go out and grab some OC to bring in their philosophy...if/when we do have to replace Watson, it will be someone from within or someone brought in to run the offense Bo wants (this one). Which is why it's likely to be from within.

Serious, and not trying to be a jerk: How do you know that Bo wants to run this offense and only this offense? Was this announced at a press conference or are you just speculating? Honestly, these are genuine questions, not rhetorical.

If you are basing this assumption on the fact that we are running something other than the offense Watson would choose if he had total control (i.e., WCO), then allow me to suggest that it is not so much that Bo demands we run a zone-read, but that he demands we do NOT run a WCO. In other words, I very much believe that Bo said something like, "Whatever you do, we're not running that ridiculous WCO stuff. I want to run the ball more." But what we do instead may very much be up for debate.

Personally, I think the ideal football team is one that plays stout defense (check) and has a strong run game to possess the ball and burn time off the clock. I wouldn't be shocked if Bo was thinking along these lines, even if the ultimate style of offense was left to Watson's discretion.

Regardless, I think a huge problem is that none of this is Watson's first choice and he is having to learn as he goes along. He might be a genius at the WCO, but he is mediocre at best now. Like Norm Chow and UCLA's pistol offense, Watson is a fish out of water here.

I was being facetious about the Holiday Inn thing, but Pelini did send Watson to learn from 2-3 coaches Bo is friends with that run the zone read. I don't remember all the details, but ESPN had a bit on it which is the only reason I knew about it.

Folks, the zone read isn't a gimmick. It's probably what Tom Osborne would be running if he were still coaching.

Watch Oregon, that's what we want to be like. Right now, we don't execute as well as they do, and we don't playcall as well as they do. If we learn how to get to even 50% as good as they are at it, then look out, with our defense.

And we don't have the pieces that they do either. Which is why we are in Year 1 of the transition to that, as opposed to having perfected the system as Oregon has done.

Serious, and not trying to be a jerk: How do you know that Bo wants to run this offense and only this offense? Was this announced at a press conference or are you just speculating? Honestly, these are genuine questions, not rhetorical.

I am going off on what some of the 'insiders' are saying.

No, I get your post completely. Other casual fans have been saying since Bo arrived, hallelujah, Bo will want to bring back a running offense with a running QB, and look at the QBs we are recruiting. Back then, I said BS. This is the last thing I would have ever wanted to believe. It turns out that speculation evidently has some backing to it.

And just take this year, with how Taylor grabbed the starting spot. Bo was supposedly so taken by how badly Taylor beat HIS defense with that magic speed of his that he accelerated the change to this year, when the plan at the time seemed to have been build off of last year. Remember the magic scrimmage or something back in the middle of training camp? Of course none of this is 1st hand information for me, but at the same time I don't have reason to doubt it.

I find that after a while, I can roll (as a fan) with any type of offense that serves its purpose to winning games. Even if it is mostly boring as hell. But in this case, I think that the running QB thing really is something Bo wants. Of course, that bit is a little speculative, but not totally either.

I think the thing is Watson is pretty flexible and adaptive. I don't know if he's a genius at WCO, I guess I'd just say he's a tireless worker and can design some innovative offenses. We are laying down some good building blocks with this, and hopefully we have a QB that will be able to 'get it' at some point. Whether that's Taylor, or not. I agree with the worry that this isn't Watson's first choice. But out of anyone on this staff, I think he's by far the most qualified to run it. Not really a fish out of water.

I don't think Watson will be here permanently either, as he may want to strike out on his own or in a different direction (pure speculation this time). So I think we should prepare for that eventuality by bringing in a hot young offensive coach with potential, and molding/grooming him in this scheme for a few years. That guy could be Beck, or it could be one of the guys whom we hopefully bring in to replace Cotton/Gilmore.

Folks, the zone read isn't a gimmick. It's probably what Tom Osborne would be running if he were still coaching.

Watch Oregon, that's what we want to be like. Right now, we don't execute as well as they do, and we don't playcall as well as they do. If we learn how to get to even 50% as good as they are at it, then look out, with our defense.

And we don't have the pieces that they do either. Which is why we are in Year 1 of the transition to that, as opposed to having perfected the system as Oregon has done.

Don't buy this. LaMichael James is the only skill guy I think is more talented than anyone we have on offense. Seriously, I've watched Oregon almost every week this year, and hear about them all the time living here in Eugene... I really don't think they're more talented than we are overall, offensively. They are better coached, at every position group, and they are better at setting up the defense and keeping the defense off balance.

And this isn't year 1 of the transition. This plan has been in motion for several years.

Let's take a look at Bo's history guys:

1) In Bo's first year, the defense was mediocre but was much improved from the previous year. We all know how good they are now.

2) This is Nebraska's first year running the zone-read offense. Like before, it's had its ups and downs, but has showed promise. Let's give it another year or two and see how it looks once guys like Turner, Green, etc. get their feet wet.

Don't buy this. LaMichael James is the only skill guy I think is more talented than anyone we have on offense. Seriously, I've watched Oregon almost every week this year, and hear about them all the time living here in Eugene... I really don't think they're more talented than we are overall, offensively. They are better coached, at every position group, and they are better at setting up the defense and keeping the defense off balance.

And this isn't year 1 of the transition. This plan has been in motion for several years.

I didn't say they were more talented, but more suited maybe.

We were going to run/can run a different offense this year with Zac in the game, for instance. In that sense it is a transition. I don't know the particulars but I do remember reading that maybe the OL aren't completely ideal for this scheme, and for that matter, the RBs, until we get guys in like Green and Heard.

Thanks for clarifying, Zoogies. If your assumption is accurate (and it appears to be an educated one), I can't say I totally fault Bo for wanting to feature a running QB. I mean, look at many of the top programs of the past few years---Oregon, Texas, Florida, Auburn, Ohio State, Virginia Tech---and you see one thing in common: QBs who are a threat with their feet. In the college game, having a true dual-threat QB is a huge, huge game-changer. But if you're gonna build an offense around a dual-threat QB, you'd better make sure he is truly great with the pass, otherwise he is just a glorified running back with a glass jaw.

I agree with that, but I also don't think any of those systems outside of probably Oregon (which is a pretty special case) are wedded to this.

Gilbert is not much of a threat with his feet. He's a 5-star QB recruit as a QB, and he can run in the sense like maybe Aaron Rodgers can run. But he's a passer I would say. These are all situations (Oregon aside again) where they brought in a running QB who has worked out. They haven't stopped recruiting more traditional QBs. You look at Florida now with Brantley after Tebow. I think that is what we should be doing: staying within our base offense, taking on an athlete or two at QB, and if they don't work move them like Texas did to John Chiles. And if they do work, mold the offense around them like Texas did with Vince Young. We are going closer to an exclusively projects or guys close to that category route, it feels like. I hope this isn't totally true though. We did bring in a guy like Carnes.

I don't really fault wanting a running QB, I just see it as a trade-off. If we only have projects in the future, there'll be a time when you look around and see all those athletes and think, "Where's a *QB* among these guys?" And instead of having a reliable passer, they will all have their various motion/footwork idiosyncracies and be extremely limited in the passing game. Maybe we can be OK with that if the offense works, and I think that's probably the ultimate goal. Not my personal preference as far as style, but it's not my call and my personal preference really shouldn't mean much :P