Stand Up!

I believe this is already part of the 'board rules' but if you are at a Husker game, it is your DUTY to stand up and shout for your team.

Halfway through the first quarter my friend and I were standing up and shouting for our skers, when I heard a voice behind me yell "down in front, down in front!" I ignored it for a while, but when the same voice yelled "sit down! we can't see the game!" I turned around and, to no one in particular, yelled "its a football game!" At the next change of possession, the badgering voice came up again. This time I looked back to find what crazy person this was, and I found an old man and his wife probably pushing 80+ yrs. I have no problem with old people, but if you want to sit down whilst watching Nebraska football....STAY AT HOME! I pointed this out to them, and then showed them the 60 yard megatron/super tv/monstrasity/big screen that hangs above the field. They said they didn't want to watch that. Fair enough, just stand up. If this is too difficult, get a seat somewhere else where you can sit without people in front of you. Anyway, at this point I was tired of dealing with them, and went back to watching the game. The old man proceeded to call us idiots, but then didn't say a peep the rest of the game.

Oh yeah...they were Husker fans.

I was in section C107 about 19 rows up from the field. The crowd around me was great and I know I stood the entire game. I honestly think my consistent refusal to sit during TV brakes compelled many around us to do the same. In front of us, a lady was there with her parents (who were in their 80's). I know that her father couldn't see the game on the field that often because our section was committed to getting loud, standing up and drinking heavily. I felt bad for the older couple, but I thought that they probably still had a great time because we had a great look at two of the Mega screens. He never said a word, although his daughter (in her 40's) was boozin' and jumpin' and high fivin' the whole time. On a couple occasions I know I delivered a gentle nudge to his back accidentally. He sat there as cool as a kitten and slapped high fives during touchdowns (well, I guess like two high-fives, then...).

I hear what people are saying about the "blue hairs" and I get just-as-pissed when I hear "down in front" at Memorial stadium. But there are old-timers out there that aren't "as good as they once was," who still know how to go to a crazy football game and bathe in the warmth of 50,000 Husker fans (and 70 degree Texas heat) and have a great time.

I had great seats and a no complaints from that game. Well, aside from...