The Making Of A Championship Team

Roy CO HSKR

I was saying if Solich had the Nebraska Players, he would have beat Pitt and Wake with no Problems and Blown out Main.

Solich is getting simular results as Callahan this year. Solich doesn't have half the Talent of Nebraska.

Solich problem was he wasn't as good as Dr Tom. But he is a good coach. Callahan is no Dr Tom either. It is possible that either or both get to that status but highly unlikely. There is only a hand full of Coach in College Football History that can be mentioned in the same Breath with Dr. Tom.

Pitt was far superior against NU than against Ohio. The stats support that, very obviously. Solich lost to VT 45-0. The biggest reason is talent, coaching and experience in a system. With another recruiting class NU will have the first, has had the second and will be approaching the third. If you think for a minute that Ohio and NU are doing similarly this season, then I want first chance for a bet for a head to head. ...and so would millions in Las Vegas. The odds would only be about 100-1 against your contention.

If Solich and Callahan had simular Talent, what would the odds be on a game between them?

OK, VA Tech is one of the best Teams in the Country. Solich in his first year at Ohio has a Team that is a bottom feeder in the Mac.

Lets look at What Texas Tech did to Callahan in his first season. He inherited a Team that was one of the top 5 teams in the Big 12 the year before. Texas Tech is no VA Tech.

Pitt was a far superior Team just one week later? Give me a Break. Pitt is 0-3.

I guess Main was a far superior Team in week one than they were this week when they lost to Richmond. Richmond the power house that they are is now 1-2 with losses to Lafayette and Massachusetts.

Taylor isnt throwing INTs, but he isnt making any plays, either, and the O is worse this year than last.

The fact that the offense is horrible is indisputable, however I will say this: the fact that Taylor has been taking care of the ball and there have been no fumbles since the first game, this is putting the defense in a much better position than last season. It seemed last year that the defense always had their backs against the wall because of a INT that Dailey would make.

:yeah Agreed. :thumbs

Former Fan,  I believe you are completely wrong in your assessment.  NU's 9-3 season was illusory in that the talent was not there to EVER win a Big 12 Championship.

Illusory??? :blink:

I have always said that NU didnt have Big12 Champ caliber talent. But I guess that means that with similar talent yet much better results, Solich is a much better coach. No??

Under Solich we were BLOWN OUT by UT, KSU and MU.  We simply couldn't compete with any good team.

And now we are getting blown out by OU, Tech, getting beat by So Miss, ISU, bad KState teams, and barely beating bad teams like Pitt and 1AA foes. Which do you prefer?

Out recruiting was going down

Pelini, Sanders, Cotton, etc were doing better with their recruiting, and getting better results, but they got the hatchet before we could see exactly how good they would do.

and we were going to wind up like Baylor, if we didn't change coaches

Funny you mention that, cause NU has a very real shot at getting beat by Baylor this year. <_<

You may believe that Solich could turn things around, but I sincerely think otherwise.

Problem is, billy c. did turn things around, and it wasnt for the better. :wtf

When you say my "ifs" are problematic, the proof is in the pudding.

:yeah Exactly, Solich was 58-19 at NU, billy c. is 8-6 (6-6against 1A opponents), and led NU to its worst lost in history.

When the next recruiting class gets their feet on the ground I think you will be surprised.

Again, ifs, big ifs and mighty speculation.

I'm sorry you are so bitter!

Actually, the bitterness is wearing off, I feel sorry for these kids. It saddens me to see the program I love so much suffering so. Im sorry you have no problem watching it go down the drain. :flush

The problems with our offense are rooted in our offensive line. Solich would have had to deal with the same ineffective line Callahan has had to deal with. Sure we would probably be running the ball better under Solich for obvious reasons, but Callahan is trying to bring in a passing game that can open up opportunities to win a national championship.

We are struggling on offense but that will change. We are 3 - 0 and will beat the cyclones. Next Sunday morning we should be ranked. We are headed in the right direction.

There is only a hand full of Coach in College Football History that can be mentioned in the same Breath with Dr. Tom.

Great statement!

Dr Tom was an amazing coach who had a great feel for the game and players.

Husker Nation is lucky to have had him as a coach.

Very soon he will be Governer Tom Osborne :thumbs

In the 80s he was being vilified, because we couldn't win a bowl game. He was being so haranged by people, including a wealthy booster from Omaha, that he flew to Boulder to inverview for the Buffs job. Fortunately for all of us, including the current naysayers, he stayed on. You pessimists are doing the same thing all over again! Are you that young or do you have no memory? Just with the past naysayers, please don't "cut off the nose to spit the face."

In the 80s he was being vilified, because we couldn't win a bowl game. He was being so haranged by people, including a wealthy booster from Omaha, that he flew to Boulder to inverview for the Buffs job. Fortunately for all of us, including the current naysayers, he stayed on. You pessimists are doing the same thing all over again! Are you that young or do you have no memory? Just with the past naysayers, please don't "cut off the nose to spit the face."

The comparison between TO and billy c. is laughable and idiotic. TO never led the team to a losing record, never had the amount of problems beating bottom-of-the-barrel teams like billy c. has, and TO's teams never looked so lost against poor competition. Hell, billy c. isnt as good of a coach as Solich, let alone TO. :wtf

A comparison between FS and TO would be much more appropriate. TO was being harassed by a booster, and one of the major reasons why FS was fired (besides puds personal vendetta against Frank) was because of a few elite dirtball boosters inserting their tongues into puds ear. Ewww.

In the 80s he was being vilified, because we couldn't win a bowl game.  He was being so haranged by people, including a wealthy booster from Omaha, that he flew to Boulder to inverview for the Buffs job. Fortunately for all of us, including the current naysayers, he stayed on. You pessimists are doing the same thing all over again!  Are you that young or do you have no memory? Just with the past naysayers, please don't "cut off the nose to spit the face."

The comparison between TO and billy c. is laughable and idiotic. TO never led the team to a losing record, never had the amount of problems beating bottom-of-the-barrel teams like billy c. has, and TO's teams never looked so lost against poor competition. Hell, billy c. isnt as good of a coach as Solich, let alone TO. :wtf

A comparison between FS and TO would be much more appropriate. TO was being harassed by a booster, and one of the major reasons why FS was fired (besides puds personal vendetta against Frank) was because of a few elite dirtball boosters inserting their tongues into puds ear. Ewww.

Yea, man, I could have done without that visual. :yeah, though.