tOSU

GM_Tood

I like how their AD almost immediately went with the "they just wanted to raise some cash for their family" argument. It makes me so angry when we are expected to have sympathy for poor student athletes that are already receiving a full scholarship and have access to top tier facilities while many of their peers are being saddled with mountains of debt to go to college.

while thats a very noble thought, lets take a look at reality.

reality is most of these scholarship athletes are given a lot...more than they have ever seen. because of rules however, none of it 'pays the bills' if you will. sure, they can eat, study and be merry to their little hearts content, but outside of that, what is there? nothing.

absolutely nothing. when they go back home for break, what do they go to? what do they take with them? Sure, they are the rising star of their family, but for four years, what do you call them? Selfish? If they follow the rules to the T there is a strong argument to be made for it. I know plenty of people that passed up a scholarship in one form or another to join the military to bring in actual physical income for their families.

Youre gonna stand there and say that these guys dont have feelings? That they are somehow immune to vice, or should be, because they are getting their schooling for free?

My uncle went to UNL on a regents scholarship. He won a ton of other scholarships...so much so that he bought and started his first cow herd with them. Never heard anyone say a f'ing word about that. I'd like to see them try. What makes athletes so damn different?

reality also says, that if you werent a good enough athlete, or a good enough student, to have your college paid for, then thats a funny little thing called life. blame those that have it all you want, its gonna get you no where. and if thats the route you have to take, being bitter, then youre probably not doing it for the right reasons. am i discounting those that pay their own way? not at all. but everyone has to work hard at something to get what they want. im tired of this attitude that student athletes get everything handed to them. sure, they have perks. but their schedule would drill mosts asses into the ground. just like someone working a couple part time jobs to attend school would.

My uncle went to UNL on a regents scholarship. He won a ton of other scholarships...so much so that he bought and started his first cow herd with them. Never heard anyone say a f'ing word about that. I'd like to see them try. What makes athletes so damn different?

The difference is there's no concept of fairness for schools competing for students while there is for athletics. All members of the NCAA have agree to a set of rules designed to promote a modicum of fairness in sports. So while a gifted student may be showered with scholarships, stipends, private housing etc. athletes are all subject to the same rules on benefits. Rules which are in place largely as a response to the wild excesses and win at all cost attitude of the 1980s.

I realize athletes are real people with feelings but rules are rules. I also seriously doubt that any the guys in trouble at tOSU were doing it for their families. What good is a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars going to do for a destitute family? As we've seen with Cam Newton you need a lot more money than that, you need to be bailing out failed businesses and you need to be fixing churches to really make a difference in someones life. These kids just wanted to turn a quick buck for themselves and they did it at the expense of everyone else.

The difference is there's no concept of fairness for schools competing for students while there is for athletics. All members of the NCAA have agree to a set of rules designed to promote a modicum of fairness in sports. So while a gifted student may be showered with scholarships, stipends, private housing etc. athletes are all subject to the same rules on benefits. Rules which are in place largely as a response to the wild excesses and win at all cost attitude of the 1980s.

I realize athletes are real people with feelings but rules are rules. I also seriously doubt that any the guys in trouble at tOSU were doing it for their families. What good is a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars going to do for a destitute family? As we've seen with Cam Newton you need a lot more money than that, you need to be bailing out failed businesses and you need to be fixing churches to really make a difference in someones life. These kids just wanted to turn a quick buck for themselves and they did it at the expense of everyone else.

An article from an OSU site I frequent. I think it rather neatly deflates the "did it for my family" argument, at least in the case of young Mr. Pryor.

Most of the OSU fans I know are absolutely livid that they would sell their gold pants. Those things are prized more than anything in the OSU community.

For the record, I'm also one of those who thinks they should be held out of the Sugar Bowl.

An article from an OSU site I frequent. I think it rather neatly deflates the "did it for my family" argument, at least in the case of young Mr. Pryor.

Most of the OSU fans I know are absolutely livid that they would sell their gold pants. Those things are prized more than anything in the OSU community.

For the record, I'm also one of those who thinks they should be held out of the Sugar Bowl.

its still bullsh#t, and you know it. they are all student/ athletes. if they are not supposed to not gain anything from their endeavors outside of an education, then none of them should.

and if you think there are not any guidelines for schools competing for those that are academically gifted, then im sorry to say...well...have fun at technical U.