Obama v. Stossel

So I watched Obama talk last night, then caught the Republican reaction. Over all another rah-rah speech like we've had for decades. We spend to much, we use to much foriegn oil, and the new one, everyone will have high-speed rail (and no pat downs, yeah right!). To me this speech could of been given by any of our last four Presidents. Anyway, later on FBN Stossel gave his Libertarian SOTU The gist of it is, massive cuts in defense, the elimination of most Fed departments, the removal of most laws that regulate business, insurance etc., specific calls for spending cuts instead of generally implying we are going to do something.

For years I have found myself sliding to the right, or maybe its the political spectrum in America shifting left, I dont know. I used to think the Government could actually fix issues, but the older I get, and more I see (would you call that wisdom?) the less I believe it can do much of anything, especially on the Federal level. After watching health care reform, seeing literally closed door meetings, and hearing leaders tell me "we have to pass it, to know what is in it", kick backs (thanks Ben), and the rest.

I am a huge supporter of the Military, yes I want them home, I also want to make sure when we have to use them our boys have the absolute best of everything. I can agree with decreasing our footprint around the world, why are we still scattered all over Europe, Japan, and a few other places. I know Russia isn't exactly our friend, but I really dont think they will steam roll over Europe, and if they do, shouldn't Europe take care of itself, or for that matter could the amount of troops we have stationed there really stop a full on from them?

So in the end, I guess I am putting it to you guys, is it really possible to make our government smaller, can we really get them out of our lives, reduce spending, reduce dependency on hand outs, increase freedom, increase security, etc., or is the Libertarian idea a dream? I cant wrap my head around the drug issue, I understand where they are coming from, with what you put in your body is your business, but man, legalizing all drugs, seems a little out there (this was on his TV speech not in the online one). So after a few years of looking into the "sacred cows" of government, Social security, medicare, defense, it becomes easy to find good intentions, but these things have gotten so bloted, they threaten to overtake us, espcially medicare. Something as to be done, the dem and reps, both say the say thing, we will pass laws that will fix it, they alone can save us, in the end is it them just getting out of our way...

OK... For some reason the link tool is not working. Here is the URL

http://townhall.com/columnists/JohnStossel/2011/01/26/my_state_of_the_union_address/page/1