Ciante Evens keeps his cool amid heated battle at corner

You can learn a lot in just one week. Ciante Evans knows that.

One Saturday last fall, Evans was playing a starring role, batting away a would-be Blaine Gabbert touchdown pass, and making an important tackle at the goal line in Nebraska's biggest victory of the season.

The next week he felt the sting that every cornerback gets if he lives on the island long enough -- the disgust that comes when a receiver beats you for a touchdown.

It was an odd experience for Evans. Rarely did anyone complete a pass, let alone a touchdown, against him when he was locking down receivers for Juan Seguin High School in Arlington, Texas.

So to give up a touchdown to Iowa State? It annoyed him. Quite a bit.

Coaches later pulled Evans from the game. He didn't complain, understanding exactly why it was happening.

"Last year I used to get mad when they'd get a catch on me," Evans said. "But that's going to happen to every corner, so I've just got to learn to keep my cool this year. That's what I'm working on."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_4b4d2646-f343-5c20-a979-302178acd070.html