Fill in the Blank

Creed

People who think Iowa's program is so far ahead of Colorado's have a short memory.

Colorado in the 90s (the height of our rivalry): 74.17% winning, duh

Iowa in the 00s (Iowa's new golden age/the Ferentz era): 64.00% winning

People who don't think that Iowa has a better football program than Colorado haven't been watching college football for the last decade or so. Since 2000, Colorado's record is 63-74 and Iowa's is 89-50. Colorado hasn't been to a bowl game since 2007 and hasn't won a bowl game since 2004, when they beat UTEP. Iowa, on the other hand, has gone to three consecutive bowl games in the last three years (one of them being the Orange Bowl) and left with W's. Now, I'm not saying that Iowa is a powerhouse, elite program, but when looking at recent history and the direction that each program is headed... Yeah, Iowa's is clearly better.

• Fire 1

Excuse me? The student section gets rowdy, but please enlighten me as to how the fine people of Madison fit the above description? I've lived in both places. Have you?

Ummmmm....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEnq_5j_vNk

Wisconsin fans have earned their reputation. These kids all have parents. (ironic given my avatar right??? But you never see this kind of thing up north in GB)

People who think Iowa's program is so far ahead of Colorado's have a short memory.

People who don't think that Iowa has a better football program than Colorado haven't been watching college football for the last decade or so. Since 2000, Colorado's record is 63-74 and Iowa's is 89-50. Colorado hasn't been to a bowl game since 2007 and hasn't won a bowl game since 2004, when they beat UTEP. Iowa, on the other hand, has gone to three consecutive bowl games in the last three years (one of them being the Orange Bowl) and left with W's. Now, I'm not saying that Iowa is a powerhouse, elite program, but when looking at recent history and the direction that each program is headed... Yeah, Iowa's is clearly better.

Not denying any of that. And I have watched a little football the last decade :) I was just looking at it from a broader perspective. Most would say Notre Dame has a much more prestigious program than Oregon, for example, even though Oregon's been far more successful in recent years. I was just saying it wasn't all that long ago that Colorado was a legit top ten program and even national title contender (and winner... kind of), whose success surpassed anything Iowa has ever seen.

Not denying any of that. And I have watched a little football the last decade :) I was just looking at it from a broader perspective. Most would say Notre Dame has a much more prestigious program than Oregon, for example, even though Oregon's been far more successful in recent years. I was just saying it wasn't all that long ago that Colorado was a legit top ten program and even national title contender (and winner... kind of), whose success surpassed anything Iowa has ever seen.

Iowa won (or at least shared) a national title... even though it was back in 1958.

blocks_image_3_1.png

Iowa won (or at least shared) a national title... even though it was back in 1958.

blocks_image_3_1.png

Well, the two biggest selectors, and those traditionally considered by most sources as the closest thing to "official" (AP and Coaches), rightly selected 11-0 LSU over 8-1-1 Iowa who (surprise!) lost to Ohio State. Why the FWAA took Iowa is anybody's guess, but the FWAA has never been considered on the same level as the AP.

I guess my original point was just: Iowa isn't the perennial top 25 program that some people seem to think, and Colorado hasn't sucked for very long. In the long term, the replacement of the Buffs with the Hawks isn't really an upgrade at all.

Wrong. If the same criteria that iowa fans use to make that paper-thin claim were applied across the board, any number of teams could claim the MNC any given year since the very beginning of college football. U.S.C. @ 1620 did a piece on this a few months ago, and NU (for example) could claim double digit MNC's using that formula. (I want to say like 12 or 15 or some ridiculous number)

But they don't, because NU actually has won it all, and the supporters of any program that actually has been to the top of the mountain know better.

Bizarre stuff like this simply reinforces the impression that iowa's football program is a joke. It comes off as dishonest and desperate. Cut the BS and actually win something once.

Fun read and fill in the blank. I can't tell for myself who will take what spot, except for maybe the emergent rivalry. I'm fairly confident that will be Neb vs OSU. I think we'll meet fairly often and will probably have some instant classics over the years!

Wrong. If the same criteria that iowa fans use to make that paper-thin claim were applied across the board, any number of teams could claim the MNC any given year since the very beginning of college football. U.S.C. @ 1620 did a piece on this a few months ago, and NU (for example) could claim double digit MNC's using that formula. (I want to say like 12 or 15 or some ridiculous number)

But they don't, because NU actually has won it all, and the supporters of any program that actually has been to the top of the mountain know better.

Bizarre stuff like this simply reinforces the impression that iowa's football program is a joke. It comes off as dishonest and desperate. Cut the BS and actually win something once.

So which ONE selector of national champions do you personally feel was legit back in 1958? The problem is that there was no consensus on a clearly defined singular national champion until relatively recently... You're not going to convince anyone by reinforcing your argument with what your heard on Unsportsmanlike Conduct- those idiots contradict themselves at least 50 times an hour.

So which ONE selector of national champions do you personally feel was legit back in 1958?

i don't need to convince anyone of anything. the facts are in, and my earlier statement stands as is.

however, since you put it like that, i guess the proper response is: whatever scenario best satisfies your need to legitimize the institution you root for.

and certainly don't let things like "consensus" or "facts" get in the way of the football fantasy world that you're bent on inhabiting.

see you in the funny papers!

So which ONE selector of national champions do you personally feel was legit back in 1958? The problem is that there was no consensus on a clearly defined singular national champion until relatively recently... You're not going to convince anyone by reinforcing your argument with what your heard on Unsportsmanlike Conduct- those idiots contradict themselves at least 50 times an hour.

since you put it like that, i guess whatever scenario best satisfies your need to legitimize the institution you root for.

and certainly don't let things like "consensus" or "facts" get in the way of the football fantasy world that you're bent on inhabiting.

Thanks for avoiding my question.

Here you go:

since 1883

And its not just one or two entities that picked LSU as NC in 1958, it's 15:

Iowa 8–1–1 Forest Evashevski FWAA

LSU 11–0 Paul Dietzel AP, B(QPRS), BR, BS, CFRA, DeS, DuS, FN, HAF, L, NCF, PS, SR, UPI, WS

See that one entry after iowa? there is your claim. See all the entries after LSU? thats consensus.

again, see you in funny papers, dear hickeyes.

Here you go:

since 1883

And its not just one or two entities that picked LSU as NC in 1958, it's 15:

Iowa 8–1–1 Forest Evashevski FWAA

LSU 11–0 Paul Dietzel AP, B(QPRS), BR, BS, CFRA, DeS, DuS, FN, HAF, L, NCF, PS, SR, UPI, WS

See that one entry after iowa? there is your claim. See all the entries after LSU? thats consensus.

again, see you in funny papers, dear hickeyes.

I mean really, just stop it. You've got a nice little program over there in iowa somewhere. Just be happy and stop putting on airs, you look a fool.