Husker assistant Els in his comfort zone at coaches clinic

After a study of the "shuffle hash" and the "strip, pop and interception," Ross Els stood on the stage at Lincoln North Star and took a deep breath.

He had just completed an hour seminar on linebacker techniques and drills at the annual Nebraska Coaches Association Multi-Sport Clinic on Wednesday.

"That was fun," Nebraska's new linebackers coach said. "This is what I grew up with, talking coaching, drills, football and getting involved in the give and take of coaching. I live in this world, the world all these high school coaches live in.

"I see guys here who coached in my dad's time and guys I coached against when I was in Nebraska and guys I played with and against in high school."

Els, the son of longtime Lincoln Northeast football coach Bob Els, played at Northeast and UNO. He coached at Northern Iowa, Hastings (where he was head coach for four years), New Mexico State and Ohio University under Frank Solich.

"To this day, dad will ask what's going on at practice and then he'll come down and we'll talk about how we handle this situation and that drill," Ross Els said.

Els said he picked up coaching styles and techniques along the way. He worked with Husker line coach Barney Cotton at Hastings College. He picked up a lot from former NU defensive coordinator and current USC defensive guru Monte Kiffin. He learned one of his most important coaching techniques from Solich, the former NU head coach.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_a3b3e422-557f-56bb-aeaa-ff4f549ee267.html