Anyone ever rebuild a Transom??

Wooden transom?

Yes sir! I found a couple of web sites that outline the repair but I just wanted to get feedback from someone whose done it.

Honestly I've never replaced a transom but talked to a couple of guys who have. One of the things they said to take care of was the stringers. Make sure they're solid. Is the boat all wood or fiberglass? Combo of both?

Wooden transom?

Yes sir! I found a couple of web sites that outline the repair but I just wanted to get feedback from someone whose done it.

Honestly I've never replaced a transom but talked to a couple of guys who have. One of the things they said to take care of was the stringers. Make sure they're solid. Is the boat all wood or fiberglass? Combo of both?

Combo. The stringers are solid, just the transom and the motor mounts are rotten. I have it about 60% out now. I work on the engine one day and the transom the next. As much as possible when I don't feel like a holiday turkey in the oven when I'm outside. It's brutal, slowly chipping old wood out of the back of a boat with the sun beating down on ya. I just imagine I'm on the lake about to jump off the side into cool clear water. It keeps me motivated!:thumbs

I have! About a decade ago I bought a fiberglass boat. The wood beneath the fiberglass on the transom was completely rotten. I bought a sheet of 1/4" aluminum and had a local metal shop bend it to slide over the entire transom. Then I drilled holes through the aluminum, wood, and fiberglass and secured the whole thing with 5/8" bolts. Worked like a champ . . . and in fact is still working like a champ. It looks better than it sounds.

I have! About a decade ago I bought a fiberglass boat. The wood beneath the fiberglass on the transom was completely rotten. I bought a sheet of 1/4" aluminum and had a local metal shop bend it to slide over the entire transom. Then I drilled holes through the aluminum, wood, and fiberglass and secured the whole thing with 5/8" bolts. Worked like a champ . . . and in fact is still working like a champ. It looks better than it sounds.

There ya go hskerprid! Probably a lot less ass pain and hassle doing it that way :corndance

That fix sounds good but I have an inboard. I would have to separate the top half of the hull from the bottom and raise it to access the transom in order to "slide" sheet metal on it. I have a V8 302 ford that hooks up to it so I think I need to stick with the original set up. The transom on this is over 2" thick and has to withstand some significant torquing.

Boat010.jpg

That fix sounds good but I have an inboard. I would have to separate the top half of the hull from the bottom and raise it to access the transom in order to "slide" sheet metal on it. I have a V8 302 ford that hooks up to it so I think I need to stick with the original set up. The transom on this is over 2" thick and has to withstand some significant torquing.

Boat010.jpg

Yeah . . . that's a bigger problem. Sounds like a legitimate project.