Young 'vet' Sirles knows he must lead — and learn

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110807/BIGRED/708079824/-1#young-vet-sirles-knows-he-must-lead-and-learn

LINCOLN — Jeremiah Sirles started 14 games last season as a redshirt freshman, and the left tackle understands the significance of winning a job on the Nebraska offensive line at that point in his career.

He also realizes that it meant nothing when the Huskers lined up to start preseason practice Saturday.

Sirles' main competition from last season is back with Jermarcus "Yoshi" Hardrick. Hot-shot freshman Tyler Moore already has a running start by enrolling in January and going through spring practice while Sirles was out after shoulder surgery.

And four other freshmen have followed Moore into the program, a not-so-subtle reminder to Sirles and any of the other NU linemen that it's best not to ever feel too good about your situation.

"I never thought last year was easy at all," Sirles said. "I fought it out with Yosh — and we shared time — and this year's the same thing. You're never guaranteed a spot. Ever.

"If you're in that first spot, you're going to keep running and watching the guy behind your shoulder. And if you're the guy behind, you're going to keep running and try to pass the guy ahead of you. That's just how competition makes football more fun."

I love that we will have young competition along the offensive line. This year may be our deepest along the O-Line.