Papuchis excited about youth in return game

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_636d0bcc-141f-5d07-877e-db658eb8477c.html

When the subject comes to kick returners, John Papuchis acknowledges there's a collection of guys with some slick moves to choose from.

Guys who are capable of leaving foes grasping at air and muttering words that mother would not endorse.

Guys who potentially -- potentially, we say -- could grab a punt or kickoff, do some nifty ducking and dodging, then hit that turbo button toward the end zone.

Yes, it's true that several fleet-footed youngsters have been trying their hands at returning kicks for the Huskers this fall camp.

Ameer Abdullah, Jamal Turner, Aaron Green, Braylon Heard. All are quite used to making people miss from their high school days.

Add to the competition the names of veteran returnmen Tim Marlowe and Brandon Kinnie -- who is working on kickoff returns -- and you can understand why Nebraska's special teams coordinator might be feeling upbeat about his options heading into the Sept. 3 opener against Tennessee-Chattanooga.

"I don't think we've had that quick strike guy since we've been here," Papuchis said. "I think Niles (Paul) was a very good returner. Obviously he had some great returns for us. But I don't know that we had a guy that was a threat to take it the distance every time they touch it. I think potentially we have some guys that do that."

Then, a well-placed cautionary line from Papuchis: "But they're young and they have to prove it on Saturday before I get too excited about it."