Hail to the Victors

Eric the Red

I know it has been a long rivalry but I think the B10 teams (Mich, Mich St and Purdue) playing ND every year is not a good thing for the B10. ND has been mediocre to bad the last 15+ years. The match-ups against ND are not that interesting and draw little interest outside their fanbases. This year was a little different with the new coach, higher expectations for both and the night game. Other years these games are dull. Mich, MSU and I guess Purdue need to have more high profile non-conference games (SEC, B12-3, ACC) every year.

If I were a Mich fan I would not want to see ND plus 3 duds every year on my schedule. At least next year, they have Alabama.

I know it has been a long rivalry but I think the B10 teams (Mich, Mich St and Purdue) playing ND every year is not a good thing for the B10. ND has been mediocre to bad the last 15+ years. The match-ups against ND are not that interesting and draw little interest outside their fanbases. This year was a little different with the new coach, higher expectations for both and the night game. Other years these games are dull. Mich, MSU and I guess Purdue need to have more high profile non-conference games (SEC, B12-3, ACC) every year.

If I were a Mich fan I would not want to see ND plus 3 duds every year on my schedule. At least next year, they have Alabama.

????

The UM-ND game has been decided by a touchdown scored in the last minute the past three years? I don't really see the "dullness" in that.

????

The UM-ND game has been decided by a touchdown scored in the last minute the past three years? I don't really see the "dullness" in that.

Do you think the casual fan is going to tune in to watch two average at best teams duke it out? My point was that ND has been down for quite some time and the B10 teams need more marquee match-ups and hopefully wins vs big time programs to gain more national respect. Beating ND does not accomplish that. If I were a Mich or Mich St. fan, I would not want to see ND on my schedule every year plus 3 other cup cakes.

????

Do you think the casual fan is going to tune in to watch two average at best teams duke it out? My point was that ND has been down for quite some time and the B10 teams need more marquee match-ups and hopefully wins vs big time programs to gain more national respect. Beating ND does not accomplish that. If I were a Mich or Mich St. fan, I would not want to see ND on my schedule every year plus 3 other cup cakes.

I understand the sentiment, and I don't think you're inaccurate in describing the mediocre quality of ND football over the last decade or so. However, I do think Brian Kelly is an excellent coach and given the right environment and circumstances I think he can turn Notre Dame into a dangerous team relatively quickly.

I mention environment and circumstances because if I'm not mistaken, *Notre Dame had brought in a new president 10-15 years ago who greatly tightened academic requirements on student-athletes, which directly correlated with worsening play on the field. I believe these restrictions have been loosened, and if that is the case it bodes well for the Irish.

*I'm no Notre Dame expert...I used to despise the Irish until they weren't good enough to warrant ire any longer. Now I just hate an increasingly slobbery Lou Holtz. For the ND fans around here, is this accurate? Or am I just totally misinformed?

????

The casual fan roots for Notre Dame. They are a national brand.