NC Governor Recommends Halting Democracy

As a way to solve the national debt crisis, North Carolina Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue recommends suspending Congressional elections for the next couple of years.

“I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover,” Perdue said at a rotary club event in Cary, North Carolina, according to the Raleigh News and Observer. “I really hope that someone can agree with me on that.”

Perdue said she thinks that temporarily halting elections would allow members of Congress to focus on the economy. “You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things,” Perdue said.

North Carolina Republicans immediately scoffed at Perdue’s proposal, pointing out to her that elections hold politicians accountable for their actions. “Now is a time when politicians need to be held accountable more than ever,” North Carolina spokesman Rob Lockwood said in an email to The Daily Caller. “To suspend an election would be removing the surest mechanism that citizens have to hold politicians accountable: The right to vote.”

http://dailycaller.c...-focus-on-jobs/

How can someone even broach such an idiotic subject without immediately being dismissed from her position? Yes, my most basic right as an American citizen should be revoked so that the same schmucks who failed to 'fix' the economy for the last four years can continue their campaign of ineptitude. How could the people of North Carolina stomach something as ridiculous, as dictatorial, and as, yes, unamerican as this fool of a governor? I more or less follow politics at a distance, but even from my dispirited interest in it, this may be the single stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Truly unbelievable.

Well, that's how it starts.

How oblivious can this person be to propose that we suspend the paramount pillar of all that America is supposed to stand for? We are embroiled in conflicts in multiple places across the globe in theory to "Nation Build," to plant the seed of the very thing she endorses "temporarily" halting. We, as a country, have decided that it is acceptable to sacrifice the lives of our servicemen and women in pursuit of that, to spill their blood into foreign sand, to have their vision dim, darken, and go out completely as they die, thousands of miles from home, to spread that seed of what we call democracy.

This is irrefutable proof of the disconnect the political apparatus in America has from the reality of our citizenry. The ideals of what this country once stood for have eroded to the point where our representatives are now unapologetically pushing for the expansion of governmental power past the point of ELECTING SAID REPRESENTATIVES.

I shake my head, as I recall Jefferson's proclamation about the tree of liberty, and what the roots of that tree need for nourishment from time to time. I fear we may see the dawning of the time of Great Change in this country. If we don't object to the ENTIRE charade, loudly, aggressively, vociferously...boy.

Coups happen all the time. One may be occurring right in front of our passive eyes as we speak.

Anybody heard much about the protesting on Wall Street? Me neither. Pretty effective "media b*******" wouldn't you say? What else is the media withholding from us?

Can enough of us see the forest for the trees? Can enough of us raise our heads up fearlessly amongst the hammers to finally put a stop to the intentionally divisive antics of those that would soak up more influence, more currency, more power from us? We, the People, are literally under assault. Will we object? Or will we meekly submit?

And of course it has nothing to do with the fact that congressional democrats are up for another slaughter in 2012. You almost have to admire the honesty here. Instead of accountability we can just go back to a perpetual ruling class that answers to no one. Then, finally, when all the politicians have lost the fear of the people, they'll put aside their divisive ways and band together for the good of all of us. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

Except for the part where I've seen this movie. The 'temporary' suspension would not be temporary; some new crisis would always prevent the radical notion that power should regularly change hands. The politicians probably would put aside their differences if only in order that their greed, power, and self interest could be readily attended to. And why stop at the Congress? Should the Senators be drug down by the unwashed, illiterate masses? Or, God forbid, the President? In fact, now that we're thinking about it, having the three branches of government is such an inconvenience, how about we do away with that, too? That way there's no more partisan bickering, no more idealogues, no more mess. It would be cleaner and simpler to have one person make the decisions for the public good.

Can you be tried for treason if you make claims like this during your capacity as a public servant?

Well, it isn't treasonous and nor should raising the possibility of it. Goes against the freedoms this country is built on. But I would hope that such notions are shot down and never come to pass.

The Romans had a system for this - appointing a dictator when the going got bad and we needed to shelve the inefficiency of democracy temporarily - which wasn't too bad. We even named an American city after one the greatest and most honorable examples, Cincinnatus.

Of course, the last guy that they named dictator was Julius Caesar.

It's a bad idea sure but it comes from a place of frustration of the day to day bullcrap in Washington. It really is angering that the politicians aren't working in the right vain that we intended by electing them (instantly campaigning for reelection, putting lobbyists and special interests ahead of the people, etc.)

I completely understand. But let's think of something that doesn't infringe on our rights, but strengthens them.