Cranberry Smoked Brisket

Got this off one of those food channels that make you hungry at night and added a few twists.

First get a center cut brisket with a crock pot big enough to hold it. Put fat side up in crockpot , pour package of onion soup mix over the top , add a can of french onion soup , and the secret ingredient - a can of whole cranberries ; which does two things : the cranberries sweeten the meat and the high acid cranberries also tenderize the meat ( make sure cranberries are on top )

Cook on low in the crockpot for around 8 to 10 hours . When brisket is ready to fall apart ; soak your wood chips. Start the charcoals until they burn about half way ( I also add mesquite or hickory wood chunks to the charcoal ) pour out water from the smoking chips and lay soaked chips over the coals and shut the grill from any outside wind by closing off the air ducts. This gets your chips smoking. While that is smoking , go inside and get your brisket out of the crockpot and put a layer of aluminum foil under the brisket , open the grill cover and lay brisket with aluminum foil underneath to the side of the now smoking chipped charcoals. Make an aluminum foil moat around your brisket meat so that you can take the crockpot brisket drippings and add cranberry drippings to your brisket as it smokes. Open the vent towards the wind and the top vent and by now you should get a great smoking for your brisket meat. Keep in mind that the meat has cooked in the crockpot for around 8 to 10 hours , so if you do not baste the meat in the crockpot drippings as it smokes it will dry out. You will find you can smoke your crockpotted brisket ( or any barbQ meat ) for around a half hour and if you have your chips smoking well, it is plenty of time to get that smokey taste into the meat ; if you go longer than a half hour , you will dry out the meat. This is the best BarbQ I have tasted , live in Texas where in our town there are over 10 barbQ restaurants , and this Q is as good or better than any ...Other than steak , I do all my BarbQuing using this recipe

Also the cranberry drippings from the crockpot make a great gravy ...