Heisman quality

kramer

Answer man

The last two weeks, Reggie Bush has rushed for 51 yards and one touchdown, and 97 yards and no TDs. He had two catches for 18 yards, and four catches for 40 yards with no TDs. He had one punt return for a touchdown. Can you explain why he's a Heisman candidate? His rushing yardage isn't great, his receiving yardage isn't great, he's ranked 36th in punt returns and 98th in kick returns. It seems to me that he's just been average-to-good all around, not Heisman quality. Or is "exciting" all that is necessary to be a Heisman winner? --Mark Stover, Austin, Texas

Notice the address. We can only assume Mark is "dirty campaigning" on behalf of his man Vince Young, which is understandable. Young and Bush are pretty much considered to be in a dead heat. Fortunately, the last time I checked, this wasn't fantasy football, and Heisman voters (at least we hope) actually watch the players in action rather than fixating on their stats. And no one who saw Bush hurdle that guy against Notre Dame, run past Arizona State and Oregon defenders like they were standing still or pull off that ridiculous punt return against Washington would sanely call him "average to good."

If I wanted to make a similar argument against Young, I could point out that he has a lower completion percentage than UAB's Darrell Hackney, that he trails BYU's John Beck in total offense, and, therefore, is "average to good" at best. Fortunately for Young, though, I've watched him play.

vince young looked terrible in the first half against osu... i wouldnt vote for him just because of that... for me i dont like bush either, he is not consistence, though brilliant at times. matt leinart doesnt need another one and he hasnt been puttin up the number like last year, td wise... i like these guys as my top few

1. brodie croyle

2. maurice drew

3. laurence maroney

4. michael robinson

5. brian calhoun